Author Topic: Kilt Makers on Princes Street  (Read 5407 times)

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Kilt Makers on Princes Street
« on: Tuesday 20 October 09 19:14 BST (UK) »
Does any one know who the original owners were of the kilt makers on Princes Street and how long ago the business was started.  If I knew the address I could look it up in occupations.
marcie
Scotlandorkney flett bell, strickland laird traillcalqahoun.
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Kilt Makers on Princes Street
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 20 October 09 21:51 BST (UK) »
Do you mean the one at 95 Princes Street?

Personally I tend to think of the ones on either the Mile or George Street.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 20 October 09 22:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Nell,
There is a reason for this madness.   When I was fourteen my nan and grandad brought me to scotland with my aunt susan , their daughter and we stayed in Leith with Grandads brother and my second cousins Diana and Valerie in Leith.  We walked down Princes Street and my grandad took me into this kilt makers and asked to see someone.  They shook hands and hugged as if they were either long lost friends or family.  He introduced me, but I cannot remember his name.  I need to trace the family who owned the shop and then do a census search to see if any of the names ring a bell.
marcie
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 21 October 09 12:52 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately, occupants of retail premises on Princes Street can and do change with amazing frequency.  The shop at 95 Princes Street is Hector Russell aka The Kiltmaker.  The company actaully belongs to the Edinburgh Woollen Mill, so I'm not sure this would be the right place.  It would be unwise to assume that the place remained in the same hands from 1901 (the last census you could search) to when you were a teenager.  A family firm could easily have been taken over by a larger chain.  Independent kilt-makers tend to found in less frenetic streets in Edinburgh.

Nell

Offline Hibee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Adamsrow, 1914
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 21 October 09 13:21 BST (UK) »
This shop had/has steps which led down to a board listing surnames, supposingly showing which was "your" tartan.

An increasing number of Japanese names were added in recent years.

Hibee
Midlothian: Adam(s), Meikle/Muckle
Leith: Bridges
Edinburgh: Brown
Prestonpans: Bird, Inglis
Fife: Wemyss
Orkney: Brock
Ireland: Sweeney

Offline Henry7

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 21 October 09 17:29 BST (UK) »
Have just been along the street for a look.

That comical notice board "If Your Name Is Here We Have Your Tartan!" (which I remember for maybe 50-odd years) has gone, and the downstairs shop now sells whisky.
Ballingall, Donaldson, Fulton, Gillespie, Ramsay, Walker - in Fife.
Bury - in Salford & Liverpool.
Jack - in Glasgow, Dunfermline & Dundee.
Bermingham/Birmingham - in Cork.
Eagle - in Norfolk, Edinburgh & Glasgow.

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 21 October 09 20:38 BST (UK) »
the downstairs shop now sells whisky.

I sincerely hope it's mostly single malt - or is it 'whisky' but made in Japan  ???

Nell

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 22 October 09 00:57 BST (UK) »
God you make me giggle where is all this humour coming from.  What would you call a whiskey which is Japanese?  And How Come a Japanese person can where a tartan I thought they had their own dress samurai.?
No offence meant peoples.
marcie
 searl rogers sutherland

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 22 October 09 01:04 BST (UK) »
Hibee

I cannot imagine it at all. Looking at the board and deciding that they want to belong to a certain tartan, even if they have the right to wear it.  Considering Scottish people travel so far away from home I actually would not be surprised to see Japanese and Chinese in kilts, although there is research that states kilts originated in India.   Same as the bagpipes. ;)
marcie.  by the way I do not hold with prejudice so hope that I have not offended anyone.
 searl rogers sutherland