Author Topic: Kilt Makers on Princes Street  (Read 5409 times)

Offline Henry7

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Kilt Makers on Princes Street
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 22 October 09 11:24 BST (UK) »
I guess it's all pretty harmless, and if folk want to believe they "have a right" to wear a certain tartan and it makes them happy, well, why not?

But it's been well established that all this stuff about each clan wearing its own tartan, like a badge of identity, was all dreamed up in the 19th century. It must have been very good for the factories that wove tartan-patterned cloth.

In the phone book for 1968 there was a "Tartan Gift Shop" at 95 Princes Street, with another next-door at 96, and "The Tartan Shops" at 96a.  I hope this doesn't complicate your search!
Ballingall, Donaldson, Fulton, Gillespie, Ramsay, Walker - in Fife.
Bury - in Salford & Liverpool.
Jack - in Glasgow, Dunfermline & Dundee.
Bermingham/Birmingham - in Cork.
Eagle - in Norfolk, Edinburgh & Glasgow.

Offline Anni B

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 24 October 09 17:21 BST (UK) »
A few seconds footage of the original Tartan Gift Shop at 95/96 Princes Street at
www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=35969
about 2 mins 40 into the clip

Definitely made kilts - my sister worked there around 1970 measuring people for them but was a "Saturday girl" and can't remember who owned the shop or names of any staff - but perhaps it will help you identify the shop you visited.

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 24 October 09 22:49 BST (UK) »
Hi "AnnieB"

That would have been 3 years after I went up there with nan and grandad.  This is 32yrs ago or more.
 ::)
By the way, the B at the end of your name would not stand for Brown would it?  Another of my family names.
thank you for the film, enjoyed a lot.  many memories.
Scotlandorkney flett bell, strickland laird traillcalqahoun.
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet

Offline ABP

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 15 March 24 15:32 GMT (UK) »
Was on Google looking for image of front of this shop when I found this thread.  I doubt the initial enquirer is still in need of the info, but just in case she is, I worked there late 1970's and can confirm it was a family business.  It was owned by Archie Sheil/Shiel, (not sure of spelling).  95-96 were the basement shop and the two floors above, they were all departments of the same shop.  96a was a side door to the same shop, it is now the only way in to the store.  Don't know when it changed hands