Author Topic: Isle of man Marriage Index look-up please.  (Read 3130 times)

Offline Janeada

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Isle of man Marriage Index look-up please.
« on: Tuesday 20 October 09 20:43 BST (UK) »
Is anyone on the Isle of Man willing to search the marriage indexes for two marriages please?

In both cases the bride was born on the Isle of Man and the groom was English I have looked for both marriages in the UK BMD indexes and neither are there.  I have also looked at the marriages index on the Isle of Man FHS web site which were formerly on Bryan Lawson’s web site again without success.

William Forster Coleshill married Myra Clark(e) in 1901/02 possibly at Braddan or somewhere in Douglas. Both were single at the time of the 1901 census. William died in the September quarter of 1902

Walter Thomas Hurren married Minnie Lynam probably in Douglas between 1911 and 1917. I have found both Walter and Minnie on the 1911 census with their respective families and both were single. By 1917 when Minnie's grandfather Thomas Lynam died Walter and Minnie were husband and wife living in Staffordshire.

I’d be very grateful if anyone can find these two marriages in the IOM BMD indexes.

Janeada
Counties/Names: Wigtownshire, SCT./HANNAH Cumberland/CLARKE, Westmorland/FISHER, North Lancashire/CLARKE & CHARNOCK Lincolnshire/ STORER, DICKINSON, EDLIN, FAIRCHILD & GREEN, Nottinghamshire/ COOK, COLLINGWORTH,  Gloucestershire/DOWSWELL, Isle of Man/CLARKE

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Isle of man Marriage Index look-up please.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 20 October 09 22:01 BST (UK) »
Why not do it for yourself?

http://manxbmd.com/ (Details given on IOM Resources board)

Pauline
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline Janeada

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 20 October 09 22:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Pauline,

I didn't know I could do myself. Thank you for the link. I've had a quick look and found one name already.

Janeada

Counties/Names: Wigtownshire, SCT./HANNAH Cumberland/CLARKE, Westmorland/FISHER, North Lancashire/CLARKE & CHARNOCK Lincolnshire/ STORER, DICKINSON, EDLIN, FAIRCHILD & GREEN, Nottinghamshire/ COOK, COLLINGWORTH,  Gloucestershire/DOWSWELL, Isle of Man/CLARKE

Offline Janeada

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 21 October 09 08:26 BST (UK) »
Hi,

The Church of England marriage indexes do not seem to contain any female names which is just tough luck if you only know the bride's full name and the groom has a common surname.

I haven't found Walter Hurren's name yet. That couple seem very elusive  :(
Well!! Back to the search

Janeada