Author Topic: ‘C’ Company, 5.T.R.W.K regiment - can anyone elaborate please  (Read 10575 times)

Offline Pete Keane

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: ‘C’ Company, 5.T.R.W.K regiment - can anyone elaborate please
« Reply #18 on: Friday 23 October 09 15:17 BST (UK) »
That system of numbering was used up to a point in 1942 (dont know the exact date), after that it changed to a longer number starting with a 1 (think thats called a general service number).

Regards

Pete

Offline r-mada

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: ‘C’ Company, 5.T.R.W.K regiment - can anyone elaborate please
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 27 October 09 11:27 GMT (UK) »
Hey guys,

Got a reply from my dad.

The address at the top of the letter says ‘C’ company sTR.W.K Regiment, Middle East Forces (the first part is hard to make our but from RWK onward it is definitely correct)

The letter has no post mark but is dated 5th August 1942 and in the letter he says that the place he has been sent to is very hot and there is sand everywhere which correlates with the 'Middle East Forces' Part.

He also mentions in the letter that when my grandmother last wrote to him he was in Chipstead, Surrey and had just left when the letter arrived (presumably at the beginning of 1942)

Don't know if any of this info is helpful to us but thought I'd relay it anyway. If this turns up nothing I guess I'll have to wait for the MoD to get back to me.

Also his middle name was definitely Joseph

Thanks again

Ryan