Author Topic: Henry Albert ROGERs of Toxteth Park/West Derby  (Read 11482 times)

Offline Philcandy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Henry Albert ROGERs of Toxteth Park/West Derby
« on: Friday 23 October 09 04:22 BST (UK) »
Fellow listers

I would appreciate help in finding out what happened to Henry Albert ROGERS, a collateral ancestor through his mother Harriet (nee CANDY).

Henry was born in the December Quarter of 1855 in Gloucester, and he moved with his parents to Worcester, which is where he was in 1861 and 1871.  In 1881, he and his (new?) wife Mary were in Liscard, Cheshire, and by 1891, they were in Toxteth Park Lancashire.  Here they are in 1891 with their children; there may have been others after 1891:

1891 Census, RG12/2941, ED 85, Folio 19, Page 32,
17 Kenmar Road, Toxteth Park, Lancashire
Henry A Rogers, Head, Married, age 34, Occupation Stationers Manager, worker, born Gloucester
Mary Rogers, Wife, Married, age 34, born Lancashire Liverpool
Leonard P Rogers, Son, age 9, Occuption Scholar, born Cheshire Egremont
Laurence F Rogers, Son, age under 3 months, born Lancashire, Liverpool
Harriet Laurence, Servant, Single, age 17, Occupation General Servant, Lancashire Liverpool

Can anyone spot this family in 1901 or later?  I can't tell when and where Henry died, or what became of his children following 1891.

It would be great to find his actual marriage, but this is probably too much to hope for  :).  Any help with his wife's maiden name would, of course, be especially welcome.

Kind regards and thanks

Philip Candy

Offline Manchester Rambler

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Albert ROGERs of Toxteth Park
« Reply #1 on: Friday 23 October 09 07:40 BST (UK) »
I haven't spotted any of them definitely post-1891 yet, but I would think there's a good chance that this is the marriage:

Marriages Dec 1880
HEPPENSTALL   Mary
ROGERS   Henry Albert        
West Derby 8b 949

There's a Mary HEPPENSTALL with the correct age and birthplace living in West Derby in 1871.

Rambler
ANT: Nesbit, Potts; CHS: Gosling (Hazel Grove/Lymm), Hinton (Lymm), Johnson (Hazel Grove), Marsland (Hazel Grove), Massey (Daresbury), Sorton (Warmingham); LAN: Jackson, James, Potts (Manchester/Salford); MAY: Caulfield, Griffin (Leveelick); SAL: Goodwin, Johnson (Bridgnorth), Gregory (Wellington); STS: Goodwin, Gregory, Johnson (Wolverhampton); Hallett (Trysull); SOM: Dowding, James, Jones (Bath)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tati

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Ephraim's daughter to infinity & beyond
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 23 October 09 07:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Philip,

Sorry, not much help - I can't seem to find them in 1901 either.

The most likely marriage I see is

Henry Albert Rogers - Mary Heppenstall
Dec 1880 West Derby 8b 949

(marriage at West Derby, Register Office or Registrar Attended according to Lancashire BMD)

Sorrry for echo, Rambler!!
 "My dear, I think the English pronounce it 'appiness"  

I'm afraid of no ghost

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Philcandy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 23 October 09 07:55 BST (UK) »
That's really helpful, thank you.

I did note a marriage between Henry ROGERS and Mary Gallagher at Liverpool in Dec Q 1880, but I like the one you have found better.

Can you tell me the names of Mary Heppenstall's family? It's very impressive that she came from Liverpool (most people with that name are from the other side of the Pennines) and there may be a clue in her own children's names that cements this link.

Thanks so much and good luck with finding them in 1901.

Kind regards

Phil Candy

Offline Manchester Rambler

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 23 October 09 08:08 BST (UK) »
RG10/3844/142/32 - 6 Mt Carrow(?) St, W Derby
Phillip HEPPENSTALL - Head - 47 - Grocer - Ecclesfield, Yorks
Mary HEPPENSTALL - Wife - 40 - Liverpool
William HEPPENSTALL - Son - 17 - Apprentice - Liverpool
Mary HEPPENSTALL - Dau - 15 - Liverpool

This could link with Leonard's middle name:

Births Mar 1882   
ROGERS   Leonard Philip       
Birkenhead 8a 551

ANT: Nesbit, Potts; CHS: Gosling (Hazel Grove/Lymm), Hinton (Lymm), Johnson (Hazel Grove), Marsland (Hazel Grove), Massey (Daresbury), Sorton (Warmingham); LAN: Jackson, James, Potts (Manchester/Salford); MAY: Caulfield, Griffin (Leveelick); SAL: Goodwin, Johnson (Bridgnorth), Gregory (Wellington); STS: Goodwin, Gregory, Johnson (Wolverhampton); Hallett (Trysull); SOM: Dowding, James, Jones (Bath)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Philcandy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 23 October 09 08:15 BST (UK) »
Many thanks Rambler. This gives me something more to go on.

I wonder where the family was in 1901? I certainly can't see them using the usual search strategies. Maybe they're hiding under some mis-transcription.?

Kind regards

Phil Candy

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 23 October 09 10:52 BST (UK) »
for the record re the 1891 census...the childrens middle names
Leonard Phillip
Laurence Frederick..
No marriages on freebmd for Leonard P or Laurence F Rogers on record..No deaths either......could they have left the country ?...allan ???
ADDED...can`t find a death for Henry A Rogers that matches his y.o.b....allan
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline Philcandy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 23 October 09 21:33 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for your help with this.

I am completely mystified about how the whole family disappeared - not marriages or deaths, and I can't see them in the Ellis Island Immigration records for the US or the 1900 census of the US either.

I guess this will stay a mystery for the time being. Actually, on the subject of mysteries, here's another one: what became of Henry's sister Clara Jane and her daughters.

Clara Jane Rogers, born in Gloucester in 1854 married Benjamin BLAKE in Worcester in the June Quarter of 1881. They had two daughters - Katherine Harriet in 1886 and Amy Gertrude in 1889. Clara seems to have separated from Benjamin by 1891, as Clara and the girls are together in 1891 and 1901, but then they also disappear.

Can anyone see marriages or deaths for any of these people after 1901? Perhaps they also went abroad?

Thanks so much for all your help.

Kind regards

Phil Candy

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 24 October 09 08:21 BST (UK) »
Hiya Phil.....checked freebmd for a marriage or a death for Katherine and Amy .....can`t find aything....  a strange scenario......allan ???
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford