Author Topic: Henry Albert ROGERs of Toxteth Park/West Derby  (Read 11483 times)

Offline kengraham

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Albert ROGERs of Toxteth Park/West Derby
« Reply #18 on: Monday 25 August 14 19:27 BST (UK) »
Dear Phil,
What a remarkable co-incidence. I was just browsing around looking for details of the Heppenstall family when I found your post. I think I may have some interesting news for you. My name is Ken Graham and I am the grandson of Laurence Frederick Graham - born Laurence Frederick Rogers and as far as I know, the son (or adopted son)of Henry Albert Rogers! I have spent the better part of the last 40 years trying to find the origins of my grandfather and it was only about 8 years ago that a genius of a guy by the name of Mike Say was able to demonstrate to me that my grandfather's birth was actually registered in the name of Laurence Frederick Rogers and not Graham!
Laurence Frederick Rogers, his brother Leonard Philip Rogers and their Mother Mary (nee Heppenstall) emigrated to Cape Town South Africa when my grandfather was 3, which we believe was in 1894.
Mary (Rogers) ostensibly moved to Cape Town with the two boys to join her "husband" Charles Henry Graham, my great grandfather. Charles Henry Graham was a journalist and became the editor of the South African Railway Magazine, a post he held for some 30 years until his retirement. I vaguely remember my great grandfather who died when I was about 4 years old and I remember him as a kindly old guy with a great sense of humour - I was certainly entertained by him and remember laughing a lot in his presence.
BUT, there remains a mystery, which we still haven't solved - were Henry Albert Rogers and Charles Henry Graham one and the same person? And if so - why the name change?
I have a copy of the birth certificate of Henry Albert Rogers who was born on the 5th November 1857 (I need to check that year) and the only thing I know for reasonable certainty (my deceased Uncle's unprompted memory at the age of 75) was that Charles Henry Graham's birthday was 5th November!!! Now either this is a remarkable coincidence or they were one and the same person, but we have never been able to prove things one way or the other.
My grandmother Irene Graham - married to Laurence Frederick, knew the details of the "mystery", but sadly took them to her grave. The reason I say this is that on more than one occasion, she told both my father (Kenneth Eric Charles Graham) and my uncle (Eric Leonard Graham) that come what may they should always know that their history was that of the GRAHAM family. The name Rogers was never mentioned, other than on one occasion just before WW2 a young man in his 20s passed through South Africa on his way to Australia from England and stayed with my grandparents. His surname was Rogers and my Dad and his brother were told that he was a distant cousin!? No more was ever been heard from him or the family he was going to in Australia!
I hope this doesn't add to your mystery, but I'd be intrigued to know if you have come across any further clues in the last few months.
Kind regards
Ken Graham

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 26 August 14 05:55 BST (UK) »
Westminster Road is by Everton FC ground and I walk Westminster road when I go the match ...I am 99% certain that the address given 1891 as 354 Westminster Rd would definitely be a shop ...he also says he is a Furniture Dealer - so a Furniture Shop .....did he incur massive debt and then change his name to avoid being harassed by his debtors ??...maybe something to think about ?
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline GrannyM

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 26 August 14 12:16 BST (UK) »
What an intriguing story :)
garstonite....I may have this wrong but the family with the furniture dealer  Henry A Rogers is the wrong one.....the correct Henry Albert Rogers is the stationers manager in 1891...

Just had a quick look to see if there are any passenger records which may give  a clue to who went out to Africa and when. I can't find Mary and the boys going out (Rogers /Graham) but there is a HA Rogers going out to Africa in 1897. Mary and the boys appear to come over to England in Dec 1914 then return in 1915, surname Graham and no sign of Charles Henry or Henry Albert.

Great story, I love a mystery ;D
Rigby-Lathom, Freckleton,
Singleton-Fylde
Moss-Rufford
Johnson-Tarleton
Hull-Tarleton, Fylde
French-Abram,Rainford
Blake-Upton in Cheshire
Bolas-Shropshire
Butler- Greenhalgh, Lancs
Harrison - Garstang, Lancs

Offline Philcandy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 28 August 14 10:44 BST (UK) »
Dear Ken
My husband, Philip Candy has asked me to reply to you on his behalf.
Sadly he suffered a stroke 3 years ago, which has left him unable to speak or write emails.
However, he is very keen to try to keep up his interest in family history research, and he particularly wanted me to reply to your posting.
He knows of Laurence Frederick Rogers/Graham and Leonard Philip Rogers/Graham.
He hopes this is of interest to you.
Best wishes for your ongoing research.
Philip Candy (Mary-Anne Candy)

Offline Kelly123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 27 January 15 02:28 GMT (UK) »
Dear Phil and Mary Anne

My name is Kelly and I am writing to you because I think my mother may be related to you.

I was looking on the internet at my family history yesterday and came across your post regarding Francis Candy, your great great grandfather who abandoned his son (your great grandfather) in England and disappearing in 1854.  My great grandfather is Henry Ernst Candy (1880-1946).  Anyway, my mother now can't stop wondering who your mother and father are - is it one of Henry Ernst's brothers?

Thanks and I hope to hear from you soon,
From Kelly.

Offline anthonyj

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 05 June 15 23:19 BST (UK) »
to philcandy, hi mary-ann, just a note to your husband that his postings have helped me find my grandmother's ancestors in somerset. we have a common interest in ann candy married to theophilus ponting in 1790. i hope and trust that you are both well, anthonyj (newbie)

Offline Philcandy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 06 June 15 02:22 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much for this notification. It's so good to know that you found Phil's information helpful.
We really hope that eventually he will be able to resume his passion for helping others with their research.
Best wishes from us both
Phil and Mary-Anne Candy

Offline anthonyj

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 06 June 15 17:12 BST (UK) »
so glad to hear back from you, best wishes for the ashes, anthony james

Offline Andrew Dunn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 03 July 23 18:07 BST (UK) »
I've been digging around this thread for a couple of days!!! - Another Jackson / Candy link caught my eye

If anyone is interested, I have put all the info together in a tree on FamilySearch.org (including separating out the two Henry Albert Rogers (Stationers / Furniture dealer)). Some links etc. have previously been done by Phil Candy ... others in 2022 by Laurence Graham

The ID of the Henry Albert Rogers of interest is now G2N5-LZ8 (the furniture dealer is G2J9-KBZ)

Just to add to the intrigue  :) - I have a sister for Henry Albert Rogers called Elizabeth Harriet Rogers. Elizabeth married a James Edward Robinson in Feb 1879 (18 months before Henry married Mary Heppenstall - Mary's grandmother Margaret Heppenstall married Thomas Robinson)

Are the two Robinsons connected and is that how Henry met Mary?

This is the link on FamilySearch for Henry Albert Rogers:
https://www.familysearch.org/tree/person/details/G2N5-LZ8
30 of 32 paternal 4th great-grand-parents: b1749-1793

Dunn / Clark m Smith / Guthrie -- Thomson / Scott m Robertson / Baxter
Ballantyne / Watson m Tait / Kyle -- King / Hall m Norman / Browne

Candy / Harding m Boyce / Jacob -- Woodland / Holland m Law / Stedman
Johnston / Taylor m Robertson / Spence -- Ferguson / ? m Lister / ?