Author Topic: Henry Albert ROGERs of Toxteth Park/West Derby  (Read 11481 times)

Offline Philcandy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Albert ROGERs of Toxteth Park/West Derby
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 24 October 09 21:03 BST (UK) »
Yes, it's really got me tricked. You have Henry and Mary ROGERS and their two sons both disappear from the records, and Clara Jane BLAKE, Henry's sister, and her daughters vanish after 1901 too.

You'd have to think that maybe they emigrated somewhere.

I wonder what became of them? Other memers of the same family lived on in Worcester until the 1920s at least, but sadly I don't know what descendants - if any - are still alive today.

Kind regards

Phil Candy

Offline Philcandy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Albert ROGERs of Toxteth Park
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 25 October 09 07:28 GMT (UK) »
POSTED later: In the 1911 Census, I found reference to Amy, Katherine and Clara all in Worcester, so that pushes the search out by a further ten years, although I still can't see any sign of them in freebmd.  From the indexes alone, I can't tell if they are living together or not.

I also found Henry Albert, Mary and Leonard all living in West Derby, which seems to be part of Liverpool, about 4 miles from Toxteh Park.  So maybe they have just been misindexed  in 1901, as they seem to be still alive and well ten years later. Again, I can't see if they are in the same household, or who else may have been with them at the time.

Kind regards

Phil Candy

Offline mosiefish

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 25 October 09 09:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

The Henry Albert Rogers aged 55 on the 1911 census can be found on the 1901 census transcribed as Rodgers with wife Mary Louisa amd several children living at 354 Westminster Road, Kirkdale.  Ref:  RG13/3467 folio 142 page 12.  There is no Leonard.

Regards,
Mo
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Lancs: Harrison, Entwistle, Devine, Grundy, Ashworth, Freeman, Jackson, Rushton
Cornwall: Rich, Binney, Peak(e)
Devon: Martin, Walter(s)

Offline ainslie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 25 October 09 17:26 GMT (UK) »
West Derby was a registration district covering a large area of what now is 'outer' Liverpool, and beyond, part of it adjoining Toxteth Park, part adjoining Kirkdale, part Liverpool itself.  The WD village/suburb is still there, as you say separate from Toxteth and now within city bounds.
Hope this mini-geog lesson helps!
A

Offline Philcandy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 25 October 09 19:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

The Henry Albert Rogers aged 55 on the 1911 census can be found on the 1901 census transcribed as Rodgers with wife Mary Louisa amd several children living at 354 Westminster Road, Kirkdale.  Ref:  RG13/3467 folio 142 page 12.  There is no Leonard.

Regards,
Mo

Thank you for finding them under this variant spelling. Could I ask you for a transcription of the people in this household, since there must be other children that I didn't know about. They may also be at home in 1911.

Thanks so much.

Kind regards

Phil Candy

Offline mosiefish

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 26 October 09 21:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Apologies, I must have missed this reply last night. What I should have added is that the one you found listed on the 1911 search index is not your Henry Albert Rogers. This one was born Liverpool and appears on the 1891 census as a seperate entry to your Henry.  He and is family are also in the 1901 census at the same address as the 1911.  He was a Furniture Dealer. 

Kind regards,
Maureen
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Lancs: Harrison, Entwistle, Devine, Grundy, Ashworth, Freeman, Jackson, Rushton
Cornwall: Rich, Binney, Peak(e)
Devon: Martin, Walter(s)

Offline Philcandy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 26 October 09 21:57 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for this clarification, Maureen.

Well that means that the last positive sighting of Henry Albert ROGERS, born in Gloucester, was in fact in 1891, and after that he - along with his entire family - seems to have disappeared.

It's hard to escape the conclusion that they must have emigrated somewhere. Maybe a newspaper article or death notice for one of his brothers and sisters will provide a clue.

In any case, thanks for clearing up the confusion about the second Henry Albert RO(D)GERS in the same general area!

Kind regards

Philip Candy

Offline bighep1

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 11 November 09 14:32 GMT (UK) »
not sure if this is any help but i have a family tree going back to 1715,i have a margaret heppenstall born at ecclesfield yorks in 1820 married to somebody with the surname of robinson no first name,they had 2 children william born 1853 and mary born 1855,william was born in liverpool in 1853 he married a mary elizabeth roberts in 1879,he was a postmaster at wavertree later  proprietor of jeffreys art shop liverpool,mary married somebody by the name of graham not sure if this is surname or christian name,they had 2 sons laurence and leonard,at some stage they moved to south africa where the trail goes cold.

Offline Philcandy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 11 November 09 21:27 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much for posting this, and I will definitely follow up the South Africa connection, which might solve the mystery for me.

I have a feeling that your notes might mix together two different, but related families.

Based on what you have told me, I have found a Margaret HEPPENSTALL baptised at Ecclesfield on 12 June 1820 to Thomas and Mary Heppenstall.  She seems to have married Thomas ROBINSON in the Halifax Registration District in the December Quarter of 1850, and they had four children: James Edward (1851); Margaret Ann (1853); William Henry (1859) and Alice E (ca 1863). There may also have been some others.

Margaret HEPPENSTALL had a brother named Philip HEPPENSTALL, baptised at Ecclesfield on 23 Feb 1823, and he married someone named Mary. Together they seem to have had two children, both born in Liverpool: William, born about 1854 and Mary born about 1856.  William, as you said, married Mary Elizabeth ROBERTS in the March Quarter of 1879, and his sister Mary married Henry Albert ROGERS; they had the two sons: Leonard and Laurence. I can't immediately see any connection with the name Graham, either as a forename or as a family name, but your suggestion that the ROGERS family went to South Africa is definitely worth following up.

If you can offer any more details about these families (HEPPENSTALL; ROBINSON or ROGERS) I would be really pleased to hear from you.

Thanks again for the helpful lead.

Kind regards

Philip Candy