Author Topic: Help Please finding Henry Cosgrove b 1871  (Read 3820 times)

Offline Marg140

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help Please finding Henry Cosgrove b 1871
« Reply #9 on: Monday 26 October 09 16:06 GMT (UK) »
thank you so much for your help
Margaret :)

Offline Marg140

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 26 October 09 17:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Margaret,

have been looking at your various threads. I take it that you have Henry's father's name from his (Henry's) marriage certificate so you are sure that you have the right one- Patrick who is a cooper?

The 1881 Henry with Sarah Smith that you asked about on the other thread was born Nottingham so probably is not yours. No connection to Ireland in the household.

Besides the 1869 Male Cosgrove birth, there is also a Henry Fegan birth 1870 which may be a possibility (and a Henry Cosgrave but that is Larne)

when you send for the birth, you will have parents names to help with the search though.

Lastly, the family may have left Henry in Ireland with relatives perhaps- he would have been old enough to be at least a help with work if not working properly himself.

good luck with your searches
heywood
That Henry Fegan sounds a good bet - have you any more details of him - would be very grateful
Margaret

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 26 October 09 19:15 GMT (UK) »
No I just found him in the Civil Registrations on Family Search pilot

http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#start

I hope you don't mind my asking- are you definitely sure that your Henry is the  son of the chap in Liverpool and also that they are the couple whose marriage you have seen.

If it is definite, then you could apply for that marriage certificate to get a bit more information re Patrick and Catherine.

heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 26 October 09 19:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Margaret,
i see from other thread that you do have the marriage certificate and have more info about the family.

Have you looked at Griffiths Valuation:
http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/index.xml   or http://www.failteromhat.com/griffiths.php

There is a Henry Fagan in Tandragee

Offline Marg140

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 26 October 09 20:11 GMT (UK) »
No I just found him in the Civil Registrations on Family Search pilot

http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#start

I hope you don't mind my asking- are you definitely sure that your Henry is the  son of the chap in Liverpool and also that they are the couple whose marriage you have seen.

If it is definite, then you could apply for that marriage certificate to get a bit more information re Patrick and Catherine.

Gawd Im not too sure of anything now - as Ive said the piece of paper I have was copied from church record of Henry's marriage in 1908 and that was were I started checking out Patrick & Catherine - Henry's parents? re "just found him" which one was it???? on pilot -  I think I will write to the church in Bundoran and ask for a photocopy of Henry's wedding certificate in the hope that an address is there - if fact I will do it now and enclosed some money to cover the cost -I was  so sure that I was on the right track
I REALLY APPRECIATE YOUR HELP
Margaret

heywood

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 26 October 09 20:21 GMT (UK) »
Yes that would be the place to start- with Henry's marriage certificate in order to get his father's name and occupation and even the witnesses names may help.

The trouble is too that you don't know where Henry and any family would be in 1901 to search censuses. Also, I am not sure how you could do that  :(

(I searched mine in Ireland and now they are online for a few counties but not Donegal/Armagh etc.)

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 26 October 09 20:27 GMT (UK) »
I'm back again- ever cautious.

I have just found one of your postings on another site re your mum's birth etc.
Do you have mum's birth certificate with definite (that word again  ::)) parents -Henry and Mary Ellen (Murphy)?
Is Henry's occupation the same as 1911 census?

Offline Marg140

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 26 October 09 20:28 GMT (UK) »
Got the witnesses names and found them on 1911 irish census they were uncle / niece - aged 24/18 lived in Bundoran - found they lived in a pub
will write now to church and see if they reply
thanks for your help again :) :) :)
Margaret

Offline Marg140

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 26 October 09 20:37 GMT (UK) »
I'm back again- ever cautious.

I have just found one of your postings on another site re your mum's birth etc.
Do you have mum's birth certificate with definite (that word again  ::)) parents -Henry and Mary Ellen (Murphy)?
Is Henry's occupation the same as 1911 census?
Now that is another story
mum as the story goes was adopted at 6 weeks old -she was born c1915 in Belfast - my sister is looking for a birth certificate for me- she must have had
one cos she had a passport???
story goes she was "adopted" by a spinster and we know said spinster was definately NOT her birth mother - back then dont know if it was formal adoptions or not?
My brother was actually in Bundoran many years ago and spoke to an old chap who knew the Murphys (Henry's wife's family) POINTED OUT THE FAMILY HOUSE - BUT TOLD BROTHER NOT TO BE SURPRISED IF DOOR WAS SLAMMED IN HIS FACE???? When my brother went to church - those days no photcopiers - so priest jotted details on paper I have - he mentioned that it looked to him like a holiday romance???? this has probably no relevence at all -
GAWD I'm sure you are sorry you even asked?????
Away to write letter to Church now

Margaret