Author Topic: Marriage of George Jones and Mary Ann Hardy help  (Read 3153 times)

Offline Big-toshie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Marriage of George Jones and Mary Ann Hardy help
« on: Friday 23 October 09 16:07 BST (UK) »
From previous help this is what I know:-

My Great-grandmother, Ellen Jones in born in Dorchester in 1868 to George Jones (Occupation Groom and also Driver in the Royal Horse Artillery) and Mary Ann Hardy (I had been previously stumped to read Mary Ann's maiden name on Ellen's 1933 death certificate in Scotland but Hardy was the most likely and on receiving Ellen's Dorchester birth record from GRO, Hardy has been confirmed).

I have census records for them in 1871 and then in later census's after George died in 1878 -
George JONES; Groom; 43; Saint Peter; Apr 13th 1878
(I am awaiting his death record from GRO (postal strike!)).

I know from the 1871 census that George was from Kidderminster, Worcestershire about mid 1830s.

So I have hit a brick wall with the marriage of  George and Mary Ann. Looked every where.  Mary Ann Hardy was born in c1846 in Dorchester to John and Sarah.  I would also like to find a death records for her to tie up loose ends. So I would say it is going to be early 1860s and I would have thought George would have traveled not Mary Ann. I know from the 1871 census that George was from Kidderminster, Worcestershire about mid 1830s.

Also found this on a Dorchester website:
Burial Dorchester: The Infant Daughter Of JONES; George Jones, soldier; 1 Day; Holy Trinity; Sep 6th 1865

thanks for looking
MacKintosh, MacIntosh, McIntosh, MacLean, Campbell, Clunas, Winchester, McLennan, McVittie, Fairlee, Queen, Oliver, Longstaff, Broderick, Hardy, Jones, Dart, Hext

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage of George Jones and Mary Ann Hardy help
« Reply #1 on: Friday 23 October 09 18:35 BST (UK) »
Hi

From the census entries - were any children born before 1865 (the infant death) as it can give a clue to a marriage date
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Big-toshie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 23 October 09 20:05 BST (UK) »
Dear Carol,
No that was the earliest.  The 1871 gives George, Mary Ann and Ellen in Dorchester.

thanks
Bob
MacKintosh, MacIntosh, McIntosh, MacLean, Campbell, Clunas, Winchester, McLennan, McVittie, Fairlee, Queen, Oliver, Longstaff, Broderick, Hardy, Jones, Dart, Hext

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 23 October 09 21:56 BST (UK) »
Hi

Not having any luck with the marriage at the moment but bear this 1851 entry in mind if and when you manage to find his fathers name - it's the only entry with a birthplace of Kidderminster in the right timeframe

1851 for Lindridge Worcs

George Jones 60 b Shropshire - master gardener
Hannah Maria   52 Lindridge
William   29 Lindridge
Mary Ann  22 b Bewdley
George  15 Kidderminster masons labourer
James Cooke 26 nephew Bewdley
HO107 Piece 2040 Folio not shown Page 1
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Big-toshie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 23 October 09 22:26 BST (UK) »
Dear Carol,
Certainly one for  the "pot".  He is listed as mason labourer.  Mary Ann Hardy's father was a mason.  Although by 1865 he is a soldier (if thats him) and certainly wa a Groom/Driver with RHA.  Who knows.
thanks for searching. All information gratefully received.
Bob

Offline Big-toshie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 24 October 09 14:26 BST (UK) »
All help gratefully received :)
Bob

Offline Big-toshie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 25 October 09 17:35 GMT (UK) »
 ;)

Offline Big-toshie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 26 October 09 23:44 GMT (UK) »
 ;)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 26 October 09 23:51 GMT (UK) »
Is there a reason why you just keep posting a smiley??