Author Topic: Earl Schafer  (Read 5048 times)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Earl Schafer
« on: Saturday 24 October 09 13:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Everyone,

Looking for any information on Earl Schafer born Dec 1901 Illinois & possibly died San Diego. California 1981.

The 1930 US Fed Census has him living with his brother-in-law Joseph Hope in Los Angeles.

He is described as an auto-dealer - public garage.  So not sure if it is possible to trace information along these lines.

Any information would be appreciated.

Thank You.
Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Earl Schafer
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 24 October 09 15:52 BST (UK) »
In case this might be Earl
Directory for Richmond, California for 1937
L Earl Schafer.  Employed by Ford Motor Company.  Address was (h)2316 Brooks Avenue.

I wonder if this person is related
R A Schaffer.  He was employed by Ford Motor Company.  (R)Oakland.

Richmond is located northwest of San Francisco (which is quite a distance from Los Angeles).
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 24 October 09 15:58 BST (UK) »
In case you do not have this information:
Earl is on the 1920 census with the spelling Schaffer.  Parents were supposedly born in Illinois (not Germany and New York, as is stated in 1930).
In 1900, they are listed as Schefer, father born Germany, mother born Illinois.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 24 October 09 16:30 BST (UK) »
Thank you Lisa - the 1937 could be him.  His brother-in-law Joseph Hope & his brother Robert worked at the Richmond No2 Shipyard. Contra Costa. California & lived at 507 Adam Street. Albany. Alameda. California.
Earl's father I believe to be Louis Schafer born in Germany 1863 and arrived in USA 1883 or 1885. Married in 1889. No trace of Louis or Ada after 1910 though.

The R A Schafer does not ring any bells, as far as I know Earl had a brother William who may have died before 1910 & a half brother Claude Fetter.  Can't trace his father Louis before 1900.

Many Thanks.
Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 24 October 09 17:18 BST (UK) »
I know you are looking for Earl, but this might be Addie:
Cook County index for deaths
Adelia Schafer died April 10, 1917 in Cook County, Illinois.  No age given.  The archive repository location: Cook County Clerk, Chicago, Illinois. 

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 24 October 09 17:47 BST (UK) »
I do not see Addie and Louis on the Illinois marriage index.  I've tried every combination of words.  Since Addie/Ada was apparently married prior to her marriage with Louis, it makes it a bit more difficult to find her.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 24 October 09 18:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Lisa.

Wow, that is great. Any information on the Hope/Schafer family is helpful. Thank you so much - I had expected to find both Louis & Ada Mary between 1910 - 1920.  I feel sure that parts of the family followed each other around - Earl was with Joseph Hope & Della in 1930 & it could be him that worked for Ford in Richmond in 1937 while Joseph was at Richmond No2 Shipyard.  Then Joseph appears in Lake. Oregon as a death in 1963 & a few years later Joseph's son John Robert Hope died in 1966 at Paisley. Klamath. Also John Robert's wife Maxine Phana in 1970. Those 3 are buried at Sunset Park in Lake View. Oregon - the plots are all close together but no sign of Della Shafer/Ice/Hope.  Although there is an entry for 1987 Wapato. Yakima. Washington that could be almost right for her. Also Robert Hope died Klamath 31 Dec 1962 - although I cannot find any plot references for him at Sunset Park.

I have asked once before for information in trying to trace Maxine Phana Hope - I have no maiden name for her but a few clues.  She was born in Florence June 1, 1918 and was married March 14, 1943, at Klamath Agency to John Robert Hope who proceeded her in death August 12, 1966.
Surviving are two sisters, Georgia V Neece, Coos Bay, and Edna L. Pedersen, Everett, Wash.
Maxine Hope was a member of the Episcopal Church, Fremont Chapter of the Order of Eastern Star, Paisley: Zuleima Temple, Daughters of the Nile; Lake County Nile Club; Lake County Cow Belles; and had been active with her late husband in work with the Lake County Roundup Association.
She had lived in Paisley since 1959 until she moved to Klamath Falls to reside.
The Rev. Merle Benson officiated at the services which were under the direction of Ousley-Osterman Mortuary.
Pallbearers were Louis and Van Withers, Al Rickert, Bob Davis, Jeremiah O'Leary and Rex Griffith.

Many Thanks for all your help and valuable time.

Best Wishes.
Sandra

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 24 October 09 18:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Lisa,

Messages crossed then. I think Addie was Ada Mary Swires born 1864 Illinois and married Albert E Fetter 11 March 1884 Illinois.  They had 2 children and then must have divorced because she marries Louis in 1889 (supposedly) I have just seen a death reference for Arthur of 1920 Quincy. Adams. Illinois

BW
Sandra

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 24 October 09 20:51 BST (UK) »
On Maxine Hope - her burial is listed on www.findagrave.com.  There is an option to request a photo of the gravestone, so you might want to do that to see if there is anyone else buried with her.

On the Oregon Death Index, there is a Georgia Van Neece born 20 Mar. 1909 and died 6 Jul. 1986 in Coos Co.  The Social Sec. Death Index has her last residence as Coos Bay.  There is a private member tree on Ancestry that has a Georgia Jean Vandenburgh, AKA Georgia V. Neece, born 1909 in Florence, Oregon.  It's possible that the Van on the death index was an abbreviated version of her middle/maiden name.