Author Topic: Can anyone help?  (Read 3410 times)

Offline Rebecca Steele

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Can anyone help?
« on: Friday 07 May 04 13:38 BST (UK) »
For the past few months I have been trying to trace my grandmother Clara May Morgan nee Brenan's family history.

Unfortunately she never knew who her parents were. She was brought up by William and Lucy Taylor (nee Knee) who lived in Bisley, Gloucestershire who she believed to be her grandparents. I have found out (from the 1881, 1891 and 1901 censuses) that William Taylor was a Tailor, and that Lucy Taylor was a Dressmaker and I believe that when my grandmother was living with them they owned a general store in Bisley.

When my grandmother was alive, she wanted to try and find who her parents were. She managed to obtain a copy of the school register where she was listed, and it said she was originally from 42 Danbrook Road, Streatham and 'in the care of Mr and Mrs Taylor', she also applied to get a copy of her birth certificate but was told there was no trace of her at all. She did have a baptismal certificate when she was younger, which said she was baptised/christened at St Andrews Church, Guildersfield Road, Streatham, but unfortunately this was lost through the years and when she tried to get a copy of the baptismal register (in the hope that her parents names may be on this), she was told that the baptismal register for St Andrews Church, Streatham had been destroyed by a fire in 1970.

I know that she was born on 24th October 1906 (or 19th October 1906 as in the school register)

I have tried to trace her in the national register, but to no avail.

I have found that a family by the name of Brewer was living at 42 Danbrook Road in the 1901 census, but is there any way I can find out who was living at 42 Danbrook Road at the time she was born?

I have managed to trace the Taylor family (mainly Lucy Taylors (nee Knee) family (brother/s) to the London area using the 1891 and 1901 censuses.

Are there any more registers or records that I could possibly use to trace my grandmother?

I would be very grateful for any advice anyone could give me.

Morgan - Herefordshire, Worcestershire * Bullock - Worcestershire * Taylor - Gloucestershire, Worcestershire * Peverill/all/ell - Middlesex, Brighton, Essex * Knee - Gloucestershire, London area * Brenan - Any area * Steele - Dorset<br /><br />Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Welsh Jen

• Dyfal donc a dyr yr garreg!
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re:Can anyone help?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 11 June 04 22:07 BST (UK) »
Hello It is a shame your Grandmother never found out about her descent when she was alive.

The only help I can give (which is small), is to find out if there were any electoral registers held for Streatham.
in my region (in Wales) they are held in my local reference library. I have done some searches online for your to no avail but here is the Gloucestershire County Council website, perhaps they can direct you better?: http://www.gloucestershire.gov.uk/index.cfm?articleid=38 or email them on: mailto:speakout@gloucestershire.gov.uk

Sorry I cannot be of any more help to you. I hope you find the information you are searching for soon.
Regards Jen :)

Offline Rebecca Steele

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Can anyone help?
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 09 November 04 13:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Sorry it has taken me sooooo long to acknowledge your kind reply  :-[

Thank you for your advice ... unfortunately I still haven't got very far with this search, but hope to visit Gloucestershire record office next year, so hopefully something will turn up there!

Thank you again,
Rebecca

Morgan - Herefordshire, Worcestershire * Bullock - Worcestershire * Taylor - Gloucestershire, Worcestershire * Peverill/all/ell - Middlesex, Brighton, Essex * Knee - Gloucestershire, London area * Brenan - Any area * Steele - Dorset<br /><br />Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk