Author Topic: Dent family of Coventry  (Read 10176 times)

Offline sabees

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Dent family of Coventry
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 08 September 10 08:51 BST (UK) »
Hello,
I am researching the descendants of Joseph BEESLEY in South Australia and have found two William DENTs migrating early to SA: in 1839 and 1840.

DENT William Owen Kitchener, Eleanor (nee ROBERTS?), Wm, Joseph Hetherington, John Mazeppa, Nathaniel, Sarah Jane, Ann Eliza arrived 1840-02-05 on John (1) from London 1839-09-12 [Source:1,6,7,IGI]
DENT William, wife, 3 sons, dau arrived 1840-06-10 on Orleana from London 1840-02-29 [Source:2,7,20,23(6)]
Source:   http://www.familyhistorysa.info/shipping/passengerlists.html  JFB  6 Sep 2010

Joseph (brother of an Eleanor BEASLEY, father Joseph, chr 24 Oct 1808) migrated to SA. He arrived Port Adelaide on the Orleana in June 1840 with his wife and their young son Joseph. This is my family.
I think the two siblings Joseph and Eleanor emigrated together, so the DENT family should only have 4 children on arrival.
They also settled 800 meters from each other, in Hindmarsh and Thebarton.

The family arriving in 1839 had the more children and seemed to live further down the coast.
I will add more info. as I get it.
BEESLEY, LACEY LACY DENT Coventry, Foleshill, South Australia

Offline bgor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 09 September 10 03:05 BST (UK) »
Yes I think you have something there.

As there are two families with similar parents names arriving in SA in the same year, that would explain a lot.
If you go to boards.ancestry.com.au and do a surname search for William Owen Kitchener Dent, you will find the information that I found some time ago. It is a bit of a jumble but it seems both families have been mixed together there. Your William would be the 37 year old from Jordan Well, Coventry, fitting smith. I haven't been able to contact the person who posted this information to get references and sort it out, but your information may help us to do so.

I probably do have the wrong Eleanor, but as there is a baptism record for their son Joseph (H)Etherington Dent on the IGI for Coventry in 1832, both families must have originated in Coventry as well. What a coincidence.
Dent  Pomeroy  Toll 
Buck  Grant  Clarke
Burgar
Sims
Mitchell

Offline sabees

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 09 September 10 12:02 BST (UK) »
I have checked the SA state library website at
http://www.slsa.sa.gov.au/fh/passengerlists/1840Orleana.htm
and there was a "DENT, William and wife, 3 sons, daughter (Ann Eliza?)"
aboard with my "BEASLEY, Joseph and wife, son", definitely on THEIR Orleana.

I have not seen their handwritten copies recently but trust their web information and so believe they came out together.

According to the same web site,
William Owen Kitchener DENT with wife Ellenor and 6 children arrived as cabin passengers on the "John"  arrive 05 Feb 1840
http://www.slsa.sa.gov.au/fh/passengerlists/1840John.htm

I have not been able to access the originals of the Adelaide 1841 census but according to the CD for the census DENT William of Ann street Hindmarsh had 1male (m) under 7 (U7),
2 m U14, 1 m U50; 1 f U7, 1 f U50.
Thus 2 parents and 4 children.

Offline bgor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 08 July 11 05:17 BST (UK) »
Hi sabees,
I have obtained a copy of Ann Eliza's birth certificate. Her mother is definitely Eleanor Beasley, and she was born in Jordan Well, William's occupation recorded as "file smith".
The annotation of surname "Roberts" on the "John" passenger list is an incorrect additon put in at a later date according to a member of SAGHS who has seen the original.
The family on the census could be the other William Dent and family. It is possible that William and Eleanor were already on their new holding and missed the census at that time. Or the older sons could have been elsewhere on that particular day. Lots of possibilities.
Cheers
Bronwyn
Dent  Pomeroy  Toll 
Buck  Grant  Clarke
Burgar
Sims
Mitchell

Offline sabees

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 08 February 14 09:30 GMT (UK) »
Browyn,
I have been scouring the South Australian newspapers for DENT family pre 1910 or so.
Most of my findings are found at

http://trove.nla.gov.au/list?id=4133

but I am still trying to untangle it. There are a couple of death notices for the original immigrants.

sabees

Offline dentfamilyaus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 23 October 15 06:42 BST (UK) »
I see this thread hasn't been active for a while, but it seems I "may" have stumbled across the elusive NATHANIEL DENT that arrived on the John in 1840. I have family photos of WILLIAM C DENT and CAROLINE PERKINS that suggests WILLIAM C DENT was possibly NATHANIEL as the photos are marked WILLIAM C ( NATHANIEL) DENT. If this is true and I will double check with older relatives, this may solve the NATHANIEL mystery, but then of course if this is the case we are missing the other WILLIAM listed as being on the John in 1840.

WILLIAM C DENT was my great great GRANDFATHER and WILLIAM OWEN who later became know as PATRICK WILLIAM DENT was my Grandfather.

Darryl Dent

Offline Kisschick64

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 25 October 15 05:52 GMT (UK) »
Hey Darryl.....Ive been doing some digging this weekend. I found Elenors obituary on trove and when she died in 1892, it said she had 4 sons and 4 daughters who mourned her. I also found Thomas Agins Obituary...the dates on ancestry are wrong, he died 1919 not 1888.....so that being the case, William either IS Nathaniel or Nathaniel died pre 1892 like his sister Sarah.....for there to be 8 living children in 1892 at Elenors death. The passenger list for the john def says 6 children tho.....maybe he died on the ship coming over...he would have only been a toddler if born 1837.

And BGOR.....Can you please advise where you got William John Owen from??  William & Caroline are my great great grandparents.....and he is the 3rd born son not the second.

Offline Kisschick64

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 25 October 15 06:52 GMT (UK) »
Ahhh ok....Of Course....William John Owen.....He is William and Carolines son, not WOKs.....He is the one who changed his name to Patrick (Darryls line)......

Oh and if William was born in sept 1837 and Nathaniel was also supposedly born in 1837 also...he would have to have been born in January and she fell pregnant straight after....I don't think that's possible....which makes Nathaniel closer to being an impossibility.....he would have to have been born in 1836....

Offline Bron1958

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 10 January 16 07:15 GMT (UK) »
Along with other descendants of the Dent family I have been trying to untangle the facts from the misunderstandings for this family.
There doesn't seem to be a Nathaniel at all. The only Sarah Jane is the daughter of Henry and Jane Dent buried at West Terrace Cemetery. There is no other Sarah Jane buried around that time. The cemetery office checked.
The only passenger lists for the John seem to be compiled by Dianne Cummings. Barry Leadbeater checked for me and found no original list. He did find a newpaper piece saying that a Mr Dent was a cabin passenger on the John. He found a booking record for a William Dent, wife, 4 sons and a daughter which matches our family.  They arrived on the Orleana on 10th June 1840. This seems to be the more likely arrival.
My email is bronwynlinz@hotmail.com if you would like to contact me

Bron.