Author Topic: Lost LANGDON  (Read 13299 times)

Offline researchbuddy

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lost LANGDON
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 08 April 10 06:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Yonks Ago

John Langdon m Elizabeth Nichol on 10 Aug 1847
- son John Nichol Langdon m Louisa Smith on 11 Dec 1876
- son William b 1883 is grandfather to us.

Have marriage cert, no parents shown. Have u followed scottish line of Elizabeth

Researchbuddy

Offline Yonks Ago

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 08 April 10 08:38 BST (UK) »
Researchbuddy,

Yes also have m/c..and Scotish line.
Yonks Ago
Kilgallon Langdon Nicol Bolger Smith Carlisle Thomas Delahide Blackman Harley Amphlett Scarbourgh Murrish Oats Tonkin Aveyard Armitage Child Fox Bland Gomersal Mountain Gelder Harrison Armstrong Laws Steel Main Lambert Law Laws Christie Kirk Bell Black Amphlett Barclay Harley Dewar Rodger Fortune McCann Nealis Sutherland Rumgay

Offline Yonks Ago

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 28 January 12 10:33 GMT (UK) »
Researchbuddy & ABC123,

Regarding LANGDON's have you found John or have you got any further on them at all. Do you know where in Somerset that the family came from?

Yonks Ago
Kilgallon Langdon Nicol Bolger Smith Carlisle Thomas Delahide Blackman Harley Amphlett Scarbourgh Murrish Oats Tonkin Aveyard Armitage Child Fox Bland Gomersal Mountain Gelder Harrison Armstrong Laws Steel Main Lambert Law Laws Christie Kirk Bell Black Amphlett Barclay Harley Dewar Rodger Fortune McCann Nealis Sutherland Rumgay

Offline Zep1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 31 March 14 03:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Yonks Ago

I have been researching the same Langdon line as you - Elizabeth Langdon, daughter of John Nicol & Louisa (nee Smith) Langdon, is my great-grandmother.

I wanted to let you know that I think I have had a break-through on Louisa Smith's maternal line, the Bulgers. Here's what I have;

A newspaper article on Trove, from The Horsham Times, 13 Jan 1885, lists a case between Rose Boyd and Louisa Langdon (Langdon is broken by the text transcription into "Langd m", so won't be picked up by a search for "Langdon"). It states that they are cousins, and Rose was in the company of "Albert Langdon, defendant's brother-in-law", and mentions him later as "Johnny's brother" - both facts confirmed by our family tree research.

I searched for "Rose Boyd" in other articles, and found another (1874) listed with her mother Maria - hoping this might be the same girl (Rose), and given that Rose and Louisa were listed as cousins, I searched Vic BDM for a Maria Smith or Maria Bulger marrying a Boyd, and found that a Maria Bolger married a George Boyd in Melbourne 1852. In addition, Maria's death cert (1883), lists her father as Richard Bolger, and her birthplace as Kildare.

So, I have assumed that Maria Bolger is Jane Bulger's sister - perhaps a weak link, but in searching further for children of Richard Bolger in Australia, I have found Matthew Bolger (1828-1876), who had a daughter Catherine Elvina Bolger (1862-1939), who I feel is surely related to Jane's daughter Elvina Kate Smith (1852-1853), given the unique names.

I have expanded the families, and feel sure that Jane's family name is BOLGER, her father is Richard, a sawyer from County Kildare, her mother's name is very possibly Catherine (Kate, perhaps Higgins), and she had another sister, Louisa Bridget (~1839-1882), who could be the Bridget Louisa Bulger on Jane's marriage cert. to Thomas Smith.

Anyhow, lots for you to look through, and would be good to see if you agree with the links?

Regards
Zep
Kilgallon, McCran, Ochiltree, Denholm, Fortune, Nicol, Langdon, Smith, Bolger, Connell, Sullivan, Lourey, Primmer, Charles, Johnson, McGrath, Daley, Hughes, Stodart, Tweedie, Bell, Dunn, Anderson | Webster, Gregg, McConnel, Farrelly, Farnham, Bellchambers, Davey, Ashbolt, Dibel, Schrodt, Woodmansee, Seabrook

Offline Yonks Ago

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 31 March 14 05:24 BST (UK) »
Hello Zep,

Elizabeth LANGDON was my Grandmother..her parents being John Nicol LANGDON and Lousia SMITH
Can you tell me how you connect?

cheers
Yonks

Offline Zep1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 31 March 14 09:33 BST (UK) »
Hello Yonks

Elizabeth, daughter of JNL and Louisa Smith, is my maternal great-grandmother.
Due to the brick walls that are the origin of JNL's father, John Langdon, and Louisa's parents, Thomas and Jane Bulger, I thought I should notify you of the potential break-through with Louisa's maternal line.

Regards
Zep
Kilgallon, McCran, Ochiltree, Denholm, Fortune, Nicol, Langdon, Smith, Bolger, Connell, Sullivan, Lourey, Primmer, Charles, Johnson, McGrath, Daley, Hughes, Stodart, Tweedie, Bell, Dunn, Anderson | Webster, Gregg, McConnel, Farrelly, Farnham, Bellchambers, Davey, Ashbolt, Dibel, Schrodt, Woodmansee, Seabrook

Offline Yonks Ago

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 31 March 14 09:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Zep,

Who was your grandparents?

yonks

Offline Lingo261

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 06 January 15 10:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone, I am a new visitor to this site. I am also tracing a part of this family, as John and Louisa's son Walter (1888?) was my grandfather. I have also been investigating a couple of my great uncle's WW1 service histories. Henry ('Harry') was killed on the Western Front in 1917, and Richard also served on the Western Front and returned home after being wounded in 1918. I have a couple of questions that I'm hoping one of you may be able to answer;
I cannot find a birth record for my grandfather. I have been told he was born in Nhill, Victoria, but I cannot find any record for him on the births, deaths and marriages website. I also cannot find birth records for Thomas (1890?). I have also been told by family members that their brother William (1884) served in WW1, but I can not find a service record for him. If anyone can assist with any of this information I would appreciate the help.

Offline Yonks Ago

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 06 January 15 12:14 GMT (UK) »
Lingo261,
Many of these LANGDON children seem to have "missed" registration some how, Nhill & Horsham were were they were all born. I have not followed them serving so unable to help with that. 
cheers
Yonks