Author Topic: Wisconsin Research Sites? Help Please!  (Read 6546 times)

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Wisconsin Research Sites? Help Please!
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 31 October 09 13:24 GMT (UK) »
No problem.  Glad you were able to make some progress!

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 12 November 09 15:55 GMT (UK) »

I'm wondering if this might be a Death Entry for David Phillips...? (From the LDS Site).

It gives a Birth Date as 1896, - his was 1890, but the Month is right...& so I'm wondering if that is a mistake...

The location certainly fits!

David PHILLIPS     
          Birth Date:    11 Mar 1896
          Death Date:    Jul 1967
          Social Security Number:     391-14-0625
          State or Territory Where Number Was Issued:     Wisconsin

Death Residence Localities
          ZIP Code:    53716
          Localities:     Madison, Dane, Wisconsin
     Monona, Dane, Wisconsin
     Monona Grove, Dane, Wisconsin.

I've been off looking at Ancestry Worldwide, (available in Public Libraries here now) & I'm puzzled as to why I can't find any of these PHILLIPS brothers on the 1930 USA Census. Is it down to my searching abilities? (Or lack of:-)

Romilly.

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 12 November 09 18:05 GMT (UK) »
I realize you have the information on your threads, but if you could summarize the brothers' information please, we can have another look for you (I've been looking around a bit again, and I can't find them, either):
name, date of birth, immigration year, place last seen, occupation, date died.

Thank you, Romilly.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 12 November 09 22:27 GMT (UK) »

Hi Lisa, - this is what I've got on the Phillips brothers...

My Great Aunt, Sarah Ann Phillips, (née Rees) born 1865 Morriston, Glamorgan, South Wales entered the USA in 1907 (via Ellis Island) and, (after initially staying with her sister, Elizabeth (Lizzie) Rees at 66 Sinclair Avenue, Montclair, New Jersey) moved to Milwaukee, Wisconsin with her sons:

Evan Rees Phillips, born Morriston 1888
David Phillips, born Morriston 1890
William George Phillips, born Morriston 1892
and John, born Morriston 1895.

On the USA 1910 Census Sarah is 45yrs and living with David and William Phillips at Clinton Street Milwaukee Ward 5 Milwaukee, Wisconsin , she is still a Widow. David and William are single. David is a Labourer in a paint works and William is a messenger on the railroad.

Shellyesq on here has found the Draft Cards for Evan, David and William George Phillips; which gives more info about them.

Sarah Ann & 2 sons are on the 1920 USA Census, but I can't find any of them on the 1930 Census.

The LDS Site has a Death Entry for Evan Rees Phillips, (1972) & a volunteer from the RAGK Site has located an Obituary for Evan Rees Phillips which gives details of his living descendants. (I won't go further on this, because I know we can't do this on RC).

And so I am looking to see if I can progress any further with any of the other Phillips brothers.

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline merjones

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 12 November 09 22:28 GMT (UK) »
1920 Milwaukee Wisconsin

409 Walker Street Flat 3

Sarah Phillips age 49 immigration year 2905
Evan Phillips age 29
David Phillips age 27

I'ts hard to read their occupation so I'm attaching a copy of that part of the census page:

Davey ... Fowler ... Jones ... Morrow ...

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 12 November 09 22:32 GMT (UK) »
1920 Milwaukee Wisconsin
409 Walker Street Flat 3
Sarah Phillips age 49 immigration year 2905
Evan Phillips age 29
David Phillips age 27
I'ts hard to read their occupation so I'm attaching a copy of that part of the census pag

Gosh...I see what you mean about hard to read!!

I can't make it out at all... ::) ::)

Thanks for posting it though merjones,
Cheers, Romilly.
Researching:

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 12 November 09 22:33 GMT (UK) »
1920 Census
William G is "hiding" under the lodger's name, and in the same household as his mother and brother.  His age is 25, immigrated in 1905 and born in Wales.  Occupation is also difficult to read, looks like Ri_ Clerk.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 12 November 09 22:34 GMT (UK) »
1920 Census
William G is "hiding" under the lodger's name, and in the same household as his mother and brother.  His age is 25, immigrated in 1905 and born in Wales.  Occupation is also difficult to read, looks like Ri_ Clerk.

Could that be 'Railroad Clerk'?

Romilly.
Researching:

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 12 November 09 22:37 GMT (UK) »
I don't know how to copy and paste.  It looks like R i and one more letter.  "Clerk" is even more faint than the other occupations; I'm guessing it is clerk.

Unless the dot on the i is actually a dot on the iimage and it's actually Ry???