Author Topic: Wisconsin Research Sites? Help Please!  (Read 6544 times)

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Wisconsin Research Sites? Help Please!
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 12 November 09 22:40 GMT (UK) »
On the 1910 USA Census, William George Phillips was a Messenger on the Railway.

I'm guessing that he probably stayed with the Railway...& so in 1920 was some sort of Clerk with them...(Ry is probably an abbreviation for Railway).

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 12 November 09 22:44 GMT (UK) »
Did Evan's obituary mention Wisconsin?  Or, had some of the family left the state?

PS  I wondered about Ry being railway, also.  ;)
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 12 November 09 22:47 GMT (UK) »
Did Evan's obituary mention Wisconsin?  Or, had some of the family left the state?

He died in Glendale in 1972. (Glendale is in Milwaukee, Wisconsin I believe).

I'm unable to find a Death Entry for Sarah Ann Phillips or her other sons. They aren't on the incoming Passenger Lists to the UK, & so I think they must have stayed in the USA.

Its a puzzle why I can't find them... ???

That Death Entry for David Phillips that I posted looks promising, although the Birth year is wrong.

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 13 November 09 03:09 GMT (UK) »
I can't even find Rose and/or Celia in 1930.  Without disclosing names or dates of birth of their children, does it seem likely or possible that Evan and Rose were married in 1930?  (I would guess yes, given Evan's age.)
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 13 November 09 09:20 GMT (UK) »
I can't even find Rose and/or Celia in 1930.  Without disclosing names or dates of birth of their children, does it seem likely or possible that Evan and Rose were married in 1930?  (I would guess yes, given Evan's age.)

A kind person from the RAGK Site found an Obituary for Rose...from which it appears that she was the 2nd wife of Evan Rees Phillips, and wasn't the mother of his daughter.

It is likely therefore, that Evan Rees Phillips had an earlier Marriage. (I'm guessing around 1925/1926).

This family are good at hiding, aren't they? ::) ::)

Romilly.
Researching:

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 19 November 09 18:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Again,

Can anyone on here help me with a Death Look-up for Sarah Ann Phillips please?

She was born in Morriston, Swansea, Wales in 1864, & entered the USA in 1907. She's on the 1910 & 1920 Censuses, in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, with her sons. I can't find her after that. Her parents, Evan & Margaret Rees, lived long lives in Swansea, dying at 90 & 88 yrs respectively. I hope therefore, that Sarah Ann Phillips also had a long life...

Based on the assumption that she lived to at least 80yrs...I'm guessing that a Death Entry for her might be round about the mid 1940's or so. I would also imagine that she would have died in Wisconsin. If I can find a Death Entry for her, - I can hopefully then find an Obituary; which might mention her sons(!)

NB. A kind person on here has pointed out that there are two Death Indexes for Wisconsin on Ancestry, but unfortunately, one runs from 1820-1907, the other from 1959-1997. (And so that makes looking for a death for Sarah Ann in the most likely timescale on there rather problematic:-(

I don't know where else to look now... ???  ???

Romilly.
Researching:

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 24 November 09 14:39 GMT (UK) »
If you look on www.raogk.org, there is a person listed under Wisconsin for all counties who does BMD look-ups from 1852 to the present.

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 25 November 09 14:54 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that Shelly.

I have now managed to locate Evan Rees Phillips' WW2 Draft Card on the Family Search Labs Site. It shows that he is definately the one that I was looking for!

It is completed in his own handwriting, in March 1942, says that he was born in Swansea, Wales, is married to Rose, & living at 4566 N 31st Milwaukee. He's employed by the Milwaukee Cloak and Suit Company, and is only 5 1ins tall! (None of the Welsh side of my family were very tall:-)

And so looking for Sarah Ann Phillips' Death isn't really necessary now. Although I would still like to find Evan Rees Phillips' first Marriage & a Birth Entry for his daughter,  Marion Margaret Phillips.

Romilly.
Researching:

Offline marinerclark

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 02 December 09 01:14 GMT (UK) »
No one seems to have mentioned the Gen web sites for the whole USA  Just google genweb your county and your state  Also want to recommend the ALHN (American Local History Network) google ALHN your county and your State.  The Wisconsin State Historical Society also has documents you can order.  This includes obits Birth notices and marriages.  Some are quite detailed  They are abstracted from local newspapers with volunteers- this is the network part  Hope this helps  LizR
CLARK Waite Ashley Gravett  Vousden Lilbourn
Daniels Marten Craft Beale Rye Sussex,
Morgan, Pranch, Rees, Thomas Llantrisant, St Fagans, St Lythans Glamorgan
Howell Glamorgan, Pembroke
Davies Glamorgan Merthyr and Llangafelach
Perkin, Beynon  Pembroke
Grey David Thomas Williams Llangyfelach Parish Glamorgan