Author Topic: William CHIDGEY 1851 Census look up.....  (Read 925 times)

Offline sft456

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
William CHIDGEY 1851 Census look up.....
« on: Monday 26 October 09 14:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Would someone please look up William Chidgey in the 1851 Census (there is a W C residing in Somerset on that day b @1787) He was b @1787 and I am keen to know whether this is the same W C as recorded in the 1841 and 1861 Census, living in Bristol m to Elizabeth.

I haven't been able to find him in the 1851 Census thus far, so it might be that he was recorded as being in Somerset at that time, maybe alone or better still with his wife (he was b in Minehead)

Simon

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
Re: William Chidgey 1851 Census look up.....
« Reply #1 on: Monday 26 October 09 14:56 GMT (UK) »
I'm not quite following if you think the 1841 entry is the same as the 1861 entry that you have.

In 1841 I have seen (transcribed Chidsey)
Corston, Somerset
William Chidgey 55 Ag Lab
Elizabeth 50
Both born in County
HO107; Piece  961; Book:  4; Civil Parish:  Corston; County:  Somerset; Enumeration District:  3; Folio:  7; Page:  8

which matches
1851 Corston, Somerset
James and Hannah Rivers and children and
William Chidgey Lodger Widower 64 Labourer Somerset Corston
HO107; Piece:  1944; Folio:  521; Page:  28
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from The National Archives <br />Lunt (Wavertree/West Derby), Forshaw (West Derby), Richardson (Knowsley), Kent (Cheshire), <br />Cain (Hertfordshire, London), Larkins (Bedfordshire, London), Nunn (London), Lenton, Hillyard (Bedfordshire), <br />Parle, Lambert, Furlong, Wafer (Wexford)<br />Special separate interest in Longford (Blackrock, Dublin)

Offline sft456

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 26 October 09 19:17 GMT (UK) »
Hello

I don't understand this sentence:

"I'm not quite following if you think the 1841 entry is the same as the 1861 entry that you have."

William and Elizabeth are recorded as living in Bristol in the 1841 and 1861 Census at Wardrobe Place and Meadow St respectively, he b in Minehead, she in Keynsham. He was b @1787.

There is a Wliiam Chidgey, also b 1787 residing in Somerset in the 1851 Census (according to a certain ancestry site). I would like to know whether this William Chidgey is the same as William and Elizabeth in 1841 and 1861. As I don't have access to these records, I can't tell.

I can find no records of them in 1851 and it may be that he was recorded in Somerset on that particular day. On the other hand it may not be him

Simon

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 26 October 09 20:02 GMT (UK) »
The William Chidgey I gave for the 1851 census in Corston is the one you wanted a look up for.  He corresponds to the entry I also gave for 1841 Corston, coincidentally also with an Elizabeth for a wife. 

They would not appear to be the William and Elizabeth you already have details for in 1861 as the 1851 entry was a widower in Corston.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from The National Archives <br />Lunt (Wavertree/West Derby), Forshaw (West Derby), Richardson (Knowsley), Kent (Cheshire), <br />Cain (Hertfordshire, London), Larkins (Bedfordshire, London), Nunn (London), Lenton, Hillyard (Bedfordshire), <br />Parle, Lambert, Furlong, Wafer (Wexford)<br />Special separate interest in Longford (Blackrock, Dublin)