Author Topic: The elusive Annie Lindsell  (Read 2575 times)

Offline littlemak

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
The elusive Annie Lindsell
« on: Monday 26 October 09 23:56 GMT (UK) »
On the advice of ruskie i am starting this thread to see if the brilliant minds on this forum can help me find my Grandmothers birth certificate.
My Grandmother Annie Tracey formerly Lindsell is an enigma to me, I know when she married my Grandfather and when she died- but I do not know when she was born or who her mother was. Thanks to the secretary at Brentwood Cathedral I now know when she was buried and also that she was definitely a Catholic which might narrow the search down a bit. 
She seems to have been born circa 1884 but this is just conjecture taken from her age at marriage to my Grandfather on 3 April  1906 at the Lexden register office, Essex. She  was 22 years old.
 Her Father is given as William Lindsell who from memory was an agricultural labourer.
She died on 13 January 1931 in Billericay Essex and was buried in Brook Street, Cemetery ( now London Road Cemetery) on 17 January 1931.

I found what I believe to be her on the 1901 census but she is listed as a servant and not at home.
RG number:
RG13    1663    48    22   
LINDSELL, Annie     Servant     Single     F     15     1886      General Servant (Domestic)
Essex Grays.

In 1911 she is married to my Grandfather and living in Cottage place, Brentwood, Essex and strangelythe woman who was to become  my Grandfathers second wife is also there ???

RG14    Piece:9998    Reference:
RG14PN9998 RG78PN526 RD193 SD1 ED3 SN94

TRACEY, Alfred George     Head     Married     M     31     1880      Billporter     Stanway Nr Colchester     
TRACEY, Annie    Wife    Married 5 years    F    28    1883       Tunden    
SACH, Annie    Visitor    Single    F    30    1881    Servant    Hutton

The only trouble is where she was born, it has been transcribed as Tunden but it does not look like this on the census sheet, I tried to attach a copy of it but it was to large for rootschat.

Can anyone help me find her birth certificate please?
Carol
Essex,U.K -Burton, Horsnell, Makaruk, Pennock
Suffolk, U.K -Crane, King, Argent, Bailey, Hickford, Webb
Cambridgeshire, UK- Argent
Yorkshire UK - , Argent
Poland- Makaruk
Ukraine - Makaruk or Makapyk

Unknown area- Lindsell

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: The elusive Annie Lindsell
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 27 October 09 00:20 GMT (UK) »
Her age on death was 47 which supports an 1883/1884 birthyear but nothing on the 1891
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 27 October 09 00:31 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if anybody more familiar with Essex can decipher it.  It's the middle entry but I have included the others for letter comparison purposes
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Just Kia

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 27 October 09 10:06 GMT (UK) »
I don't know Essex and I don't know the literacy of the person filling in the schedule but it looks like "Lunden" - spelled as the way someone may say "London".
There's a "Sandon" near Chelmsford in Essex, but that doesn't match the "S" of the above entry.
WIMBUSH - Everywhere :: MARLOW/JECOCK/JUSTICE - Northamptonshire/Warwickshire/Oxfordshire :: SCALES/BRIDGES/ENGLISH/SPINK/PETCH/GOOCH/COCKSEDGE - Suffolk :: GARRETT/GIBBS/FEARN - Warwickshire :: DEVOS - Scotland (Aberdeen)/France(Dunkerque) :: MURRAY - Ireland(Down)/Scotland(Lochs) :: TIGHE/TREACY - Cork

Stanley Charles SCALES b.1899 - Where are you?    ***   

Offline celia

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 27 October 09 22:08 GMT (UK) »
Yes i see it as Lunden as well  thats how most people pronounce London, unless they are Posh ;D

Celia
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

M.I.Merchant Marina's Rake Lane

FLORENCE JONES MARRIED JOHN GIBBON HIGNETT IN 1885

Offline Maggie1895

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 27 October 09 22:16 GMT (UK) »
I think you are probably right about someone writing 'Lunden' as they heard it, but there is a Laindon in Essex - just a thought
Maggie 1895
Census information Crown Copywright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk / National Archives of Scotland

Offline littlemak

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 28 October 09 19:11 GMT (UK) »
My Grandfather filled it in and he was very literate and would have known how to spell London.
Its most frustrating my brother and I have been searching for her for some years now.
Carol
Yorkshire UK - , Argent
Poland- Makaruk

Unknown area- Lindsell

Offline littlemak

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 28 October 09 19:13 GMT (UK) »
Mind you on closer inspection it looks like the middle entry may have been filled in by my Grandmother herself as it looks like different writing. ???
Any more thoughts people? :D
Yorkshire UK - , Argent
Poland- Makaruk

Unknown area- Lindsell

Offline Maggie1895

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 28 October 09 19:19 GMT (UK) »
Whilst I'm not disputing the first letter looks more like an 'L' than anything, any votes for Sandon?  That was a small village in Essex as well
Maggie 1895
Census information Crown Copywright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk / National Archives of Scotland