Author Topic: Bombing  (Read 16707 times)

Offline sandie63

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Bombing
« Reply #27 on: Friday 03 February 12 20:28 GMT (UK) »
That was a great link- thanks!
Originated in Aberdeen- Mutch. Researching Mutch, Scott and Hepburn, all Tyrie / New Pitsligo.

Also- McKnockiter (Buckie/Burghead/) and McLeod, (borne of McLeod/McRae,) Stornoway.

and...Mark and Bannerman (Huntly/Banff.)

Offline Dave the Walrus

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 09 February 12 08:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mccubbin,

As you will see, by now, Aberdeen certainly was bombed in WW2. A church across the road from where I worked, in Carden Place was bombed in 1942. It was said that they were trying to bomb the harbour area, but they were at least 2 miles too far west.

Best wishes,

Dave
Rogers(Wiltshire)(Hampshire)
White, Long, Waterman (Hampshire)
Mabbutt(Wiltshire)
Orsman(Hertfordshire)
Minturn(Wiltshire)
Allan, Taylor(Aberdeenshire)

Offline lawrenceb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 11 February 12 22:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone, my mother, who is 82 and lived through WW2 in Aberdeen,  tells me that the Lads Club in Woodside was bombed one night when it was full of boys doing activities.  Mum remembers that most of them were killed and that school was closed the next day because of the bombing. (That was standard procedure when bombing occurred the night before) A large number of the boys had attended  both Woodside and Hilton School with her.  Another time, when she was at Hilton School, there was a bombing and the students had to go into the air raid shelter.  The teacher, Miss Bruce, had trained as a singer apparently, and to pass the time and to keep everyone calm had each student sing a song, one after the other. 
Cumming: Woodside Aberdeen
Lawrence: Banffshire, Aberdeenshire, Newcastle upon Tyne

Offline alanatabz

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 14 March 12 08:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Everybody

New to this forum

I was the person who posted the bombing info on 12occlock high with the locations of bombs in Aberdeen

Having another burst of enthusiam, I've been through 3 volumes of records being specific on dates and where bombs fell on Aberdeen.

If anybody can send me specific dates, addresses of bombings, I'll update my records.

Also, the bomber crew killed in the ice rink crash are buried at the old dyce cemetary beside the river don.  Another airman (maybe 2) are buried there when they were washed up near balmedie during the war (I see somebody posted a council link to it too)

Another german aircraft crashed on a hill just outside stonehave, a number were shotdown and crashed in the sea also.

Alan

Offline sandie63

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 14 April 12 18:53 BST (UK) »
Thanks Alan, that's really helpful.

Sandie Mutch.
Originated in Aberdeen- Mutch. Researching Mutch, Scott and Hepburn, all Tyrie / New Pitsligo.

Also- McKnockiter (Buckie/Burghead/) and McLeod, (borne of McLeod/McRae,) Stornoway.

and...Mark and Bannerman (Huntly/Banff.)

Offline the hawk

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 24 January 13 19:04 GMT (UK) »
Reference to colins letter on the ice rink where the german bomber crashed after being shot down by spitfires from RAF Dyce, he says the crew were buired at Broadhill cemetery this is wrong information as the three crew were buired at the old Dyce cemetery beside the other german airmen killed in the war.

the hawk

Offline scottiegirl44

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 05 April 13 03:57 BST (UK) »
Believe it or not I found this on Facebook, for all of you that are on there.

https://www.facebook.com/notes/aberdeen/far-wis-ye-fan-the-sireen-blew/10150222971529127

If you do not have Facebook, message me and I will try to get you the info. :)
Scott, Paterson, Milne, Hardie, Clark, Strath // Bush, Buttle, Rattle, Coghlan, Osborne

Online Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 05 April 13 19:42 BST (UK) »
Some more information here :-

http://www.mcjazz.f2s.com/Blitzkreig.htm

Regards

Malky

Offline flst

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 05 April 13 23:42 BST (UK) »
Just read about this in my local paper. April 21 2013 will be the 70th Anniversary of "The Aberdeen Blitz". The "Press and Journal" is wanting to hear from people who have stories of the raid. It should make interesting reading!
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.