Author Topic: HANNABUSS origins?  (Read 6028 times)

Offline Ian Nelson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: HANNABUSS origins?
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 24 March 20 21:13 GMT (UK) »
Here's a long shot but meal for the grist mill to you dark web researchers.   ARQUEBUS. A hook-gun.  possibly Dutch in origin, also known as Haakbus, Harquebus.
Maybe more than just a pikeman.
https://www.wikitree.com/genealogy/HANNABUS
Also noted in wikipe
An infantryman armed with an arquebus is called an arquebusier
Pikemen were used to protect the arquebusiers by the English
Norfolk, Nelsons of Gt Ryburgh, Gooch, Howman, COLLISONS,  Ainger, Couzens, Batrick (Norfolk & Dorset), Tubby ( also of Yorkshire) Cathcarts of Ireland, Lancashire & Isle of Wight) Dickinsons of Morecambe and Lancaster, Wilson of Poulton-le-Sands and Broughton.  Wilson - Ffrance of Rawcliffe,  Mitchells of Isle of Wight. Hair of Ayrshire, Williamson of Tradeston, Glasgow. Nelsons in Australia with Haywards Heath connections.

Offline Fred Shroll

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 25 March 20 06:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Aunt Neena,

You can send me your e-mail address in a private message (so it does not get displayed in public on the forum), then we can correspond directly and I can send documents to you. I also ought to dig out the old Hannahabus contacts I had. The only person I have ever found with an insoluble Hannabus problem is me!

Offline Halberton1770

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 30 January 21 00:27 GMT (UK) »
Hello. A new member, first post.
I am in Australia and descendant from John Hannabus and Margaret Edwards, both convicts.
I have read on this thread about John Hannabus who was convicted of Burglary and sent to Australia.
He was from Halberton.
It seems from reading this thread that my John Hannabus was adopted by the Hannabus family. Was his biological mother, Mary Quant?
Thank you.

Offline DOB7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • SQUANCE family motto - Be wise and keep quiet
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 30 January 21 14:23 GMT (UK) »
A John QUANT, base born child of Joan (not Mary) QUANT was baptised at Halberton in 1771 (FamilySearch.org). Joan QUANT then married a John HANNABUS at Halberton in 1773. Whether or not John HANNABUS was the biological father is difficult to say unless you can locate a bastardy record.
Squance, Lillicrap, Dankester, Surtees, Yates

Offline Fred Shroll

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 30 January 21 16:23 GMT (UK) »
A John QUANT, base born child of Joan (not Mary) QUANT was baptised at Halberton in 1771 (FamilySearch.org). Joan QUANT then married a John HANNABUS at Halberton in 1773. Whether or not John HANNABUS was the biological father is difficult to say unless you can locate a bastardy record.

Yes Joan Quant was certainly the biological mother. My own suspicion, without facts to back it up, is that John Hannabus was probably not his biological father.

However, both Hannabus and Quant are unusual names and I think this is a problem that potentially could be solved by DNA testing. A difficulty however is that I don't think many Hannabus/Quant descendants have been tested. (This reflects my own failure!)

Offline PJHannabus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 13 July 21 09:35 BST (UK) »
Hello. I am new to the sport of genealogy so please forgive my naivety and mistakes.
My name is Peter Hannabus and I'm holidaying in Devon with friends and thought I would look up the name Hannabuss while I'm here in the knowledge that the family name seems to spring from this part of the world. Hence I came across this forum which sparked my interest.

I am an Australian living in the UK and interested to join up the information my father was given about the name and piece it together with it's English origins. Fred, I was fascinated with your information about Mary Quant's son possibly being illegitimate and then going to Australia, possibly having taken the Hannabus name. I'd like to also connect with some of the people you said were expert researchers in the Hannabus/Hannabuss lineage.

Thanks, Peter Hannabus