Author Topic: hankins  (Read 68504 times)

Offline KirstyG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: hankins
« Reply #27 on: Monday 02 November 09 15:01 GMT (UK) »
Trying to fill in some of the gaps I found some of the christenings of the children of John Hankins and Hannah Maria Herbert.

Ada Elizabeth Hankins June 28th 1849 All Saints Hereford
Amy Mary Hankins 24th June 1850 All Saints Hereford
Alice Herbert Hankins 16th October 1851 All Saints Hereford

In all of these extracted entries the mother is listed as Maria.

Have you tried searching in NZ for her using her middle name?

Galloway,   Landers,   Lindsay,  Gillespie,  Irvine
Erskine,   McAdam,  Hawthorn
Robertson,   Duncan,   Edmonstone,    Black
Anderson,  Nicholson,  Crombie,  MacDonald
Arch, Herbert, Charlesworth, Chapman

Offline dalek39

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 02 November 09 19:09 GMT (UK) »
Thanks KirstyG..for the dates, I have some but not all...and I have searched all cemetries, even emailed some , and used both names of Maria and Hannah Maria....I did find one with Anna Maria.but record stated death unknown...  I received from Chillis that she may have even remarried,and gone back to England.. that is a possibility, but I doubt that she would leave her whole family plus granchildren...I still believe she is in NZ, possible near Palmerston where her eldest son was.but then again I did find a daughter Annie Maria living in Melbourne at one time..maybe I should look there...... I thought of sending off to NZ BMD for that one of "Anna Maria"..but have sent for other members of the family , paid, and been sent someone else's who would have been 140 years old when died....sent that back..but, no, they sent it back to me again...I'm a bit reluctant to send off again until I"m sure...
I came across one Maria who died around 1874 ? that may have been her, but no site of burial..that meant she would have died 10 years after she arrived..... Ive looked up "papers past" and did find some very interesting information, not on her, but on my Ggrandmother...but..back to Hannah Maria...
I am still waiting for information from Christchurch Cemetries, but its been awhile, they may have forgotten...as they say patience is a virtue.... 
While I have you here Kirsty..Ive noticed there are two Hankins threads, which I find a little confusing..which one should I keep with ?  Thanks again...

Offline Glamis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 02 November 09 20:21 GMT (UK) »
Dalek39, where and which is the 2nd Hankins thread you mention? Don't get confused by the one for Lieut.Col. James Dalrymple. It is not a Hankins thread but one that links through ASWD; his Great Grand daughter. She  married J H Hankins. This is you're thread for Hankins. The other is mine for Lieut.Col.James. We link through our genetics of Hankins in that your G'Grandmother Alice was J H Hankins sister. J H Hankins is my G'Grandfather.

Offline dalek39

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 02 November 09 20:52 GMT (UK) »
Yes..I know all that...I dont go to the ASWD thread...when I "log onto" Rootschat, and I go to the Hankins site..scroll down, there are two Hankins..one with 12 next to it...they are the ones I mention...The one I usually go to is the 12 one... I am getting good help there...I understand that the Dalyrymple side  is not my family line...getting through the Hankins side is enough of a challenge.. You m'dear have a bigger challenge getting through both families.....its a wonder you sleep at night, poor thing..anyway...keep on keeping on I say....

Offline Glamis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 02 November 09 21:05 GMT (UK) »
I don't know the other thread you mention though. I am not meaning to 'dis' people but I am very confused as to what you refer. Is this other Hankins site on the Hereford link or another?
As for ASWD- I really feel sorry for her, she was very much in her husband's shadow. He was a well respected member of NZ community and now part of NZ heritage. No one really knew her past connections. She was very much doing the dutyful wife bit except at some point it does seem she got bored....

Offline dalek39

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 03 November 09 01:21 GMT (UK) »
Can someone tell me where Sugwas is...I have information its where William Bartholomew Hankins was born...I am trying to piece together the different birth places of this side of the family, so that I may be able to work out where Richard and Anne (parents) came from... There are several places around, such as Dymock..Dormington..Ledbury..but, not knowing the area..its tricky to make the wrong assumption...
I also have info on some deaths I have found   A John Hankins, (not the Bartestree one) Hereford city Cemetry ..H12/H.396..apparently married Emily E..? Hankins...She is buried in the same plot.
 Richard Hankins..Hereford St.Nicholas..HSN/(045) Monkland.
 another Richard Hankins at Monkland..MNK/069..
and..a William Hankins..at Munsley MUN/091.Mary Catherine is in the same plot....
Not sure if these are my line, but the names of Mary Catherine ring bells.

Offline Chilis

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 03 November 09 02:42 GMT (UK) »
Dalek39
First of all, Sugwas is Stretton Sugwas by Hereford.

I have gathered rather a lot of info on your HANKINS which I'm in the process of collating.  Hopefully, it is tying together all the associated places and John, Richard and William. 

I have a marriage on May 30, 1793 at Donnington of a John HANKINS batchelor of Donnington to Sarah ANDREWS spinster of Lugwardine and subsequent baptisms in Dymock - Richard (16 Mar 1794), John (26 Oct 1795), Elizabeth (22 Sept 1797) and Edward (6 May 1799)

Incidentally, the marriage was witnessed by Hester SAUNDERS and William HANKINS.

The interesting thing there was that Sarah ANDREWS hailed from Lugwardine.

Anyway, it will take me a while to get the bits together, but will do my best.  I might try to send a personal message so that I can send stuff more directly as attachments.
Chilis

Offline dalek39

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 03 November 09 06:23 GMT (UK) »
Chillis...you wont believe this...I just sat down to message you, and..there you are.....I have found Hagley Hall..Lugwardine.....I wondered why John Hankins would put Hagley Hall on the 1861 census if he lived somewhere else...Its a Privite House..and I have the owners names..AFTER John Hankins went to NZ.... What sort of house it is, maybe a little thatched cottage, but I imagine it would have been very nice....and..thank you for your recent information..thats wonderful..I had my thoughts on that...and the "William" confirmed it.....but...we have to make sure I know that.....
The reference on Hagley Hall is in the Hereford Directory and Gazette of Herefordshire. 1876-7...
I have a map of Hereford and surrounding areas..so ..I think they did not go too far from home.....
Anyway...thanks..I appreciate your assistance......

Offline Glamis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 03 November 09 09:23 GMT (UK) »
I have been searching for the info on who lived at Hagley Hall but just can't see any Hankins. My problem I know. The following lists people from 1310.
http://freespace.virgin.net/the.woodies/inhabitants.htm

Is this the Directory you have mentioned? They're not there either http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/HEF/Lugwardine/Littlebury1876.html