Author Topic: ? Photo of House in Kessingland  (Read 10029 times)

Offline sossle

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: ? Photo of House in Kessingland
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 01 February 12 19:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Thank you so much for your reply. I'm over the moon as I'd virtually given up. My husbands Grt Grt Grt Grandmother lived in the house. I have a postcard with a photo of the house & on the back it has my husbands Grandmothers address & it says "this is the house your Fathers Grandmother used to live in! Wow!
i eventually want to go to see Kessingland & to know that some of the cottages in the photo are still standing will make it worthwhile.
I really appreciate you sending this information to me
Regards
    Sue

Offline triffid

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 02 February 12 20:37 GMT (UK) »
Glad to have been of help.
In 1936 our family moved to a house on London road so I had to pass your cottage at least twice a day on my way to and from the village school, at that time it was occupied by an elderly gentleman with a white beard,
The blacksmiths shop was destroyed by a bomb in May 1943,
The premises at the back of the cottage belonged to the local builder. I was employed by the builder from 1944 until I went into the forces in 1947, during this period the cottage was unoccupied. It was unusual for any habitable building to be left empty at this time as accommodation was in short supply. I can only assume that the cottage was badly damaged inside by the bomb that exploded about 20 yards away as the outside looked perfectly sound.
It is difficult to pinpoint the original position of the cottage as the area has been redeveloped, the road widened and the bend made less acute but if you face north (towards Lowestoft) and stand on the left opposite the Field lane entrance you will be in roughly the same position as was the photographer when he took the photo

Offline sossle

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 02 February 12 21:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Again,

I am so grateful for the information you have given me. My Father in Law will be 89 this year & it is his Mother that the postcard was sent to. I shall tell him all about the cottage when I speak to him, he'll be very interested.

Regards Sue