Author Topic: Russian emigre records  (Read 1874 times)

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Russian emigre records
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 31 October 09 22:24 GMT (UK) »
Hello Lis,

Jorose is slightly confused (sorry Jorose). What you need to locate is the socalled marriage authorisation (MA). See this link http://www.jgsgb.org.uk/Marriage_Authorisations.shtml

With a bit of luck this document should record the place of birth of both bride and groom as well as their full Hebrew names. The ketubah only provides the latter.

The MA for Marks Morris' marriage to Bluma Steiner can be ordered online here

http://www.theus.org.uk/support_services/find_your_family/marriage_records?search=1&options[given_names]=marks&options[bridegroom_surname]=morris&options[bride_surname]=&send_button.x=16&send_button.y=10&send_button=search

Marks, incidentally, was a common anglicization of Mordkhe / Mordechai.

I would suspect that the brothers' original surname was not Moysheh, although it may have been their father's forename.

Justin

Offline lisingreece

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 01 November 09 10:39 GMT (UK) »
Oh Justin that's wonderful.

I have ordered the MA for Marks Morris they did not have the MA for Lewis and his two wives but no matter I will get a lot of information about Lewis family and their origins  from that.
Thank you so much for your help.

Lis
Bailey, Stickells,  Marshall,  Hope, Morris, Wratten, Hope,  Knowler, Lonkhurst,  Gower,  Ratcliffe, Newport,  Boulden,  Stokes,  Beverley, Law, Lushington,  Parham,  Thorpe,  Piddleden,  Swaffer, Wide, Wood,  Austen, Eastes,  Hulke,  Banes, Hadley, Denne, Mullet, Dove, Mackney,all in Kent

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 01 November 09 11:21 GMT (UK) »
Lis,

Glad you were able to find and order the record. You will be emailed a PDF file I believe, so I look forward to seeing it posted here.

Justin

Offline devonblue

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 01 November 09 11:57 GMT (UK) »
I have found a marriage for my Louis Lewis too, never found one anywhere before so I will be ordering that. I had a feeling that this thread was going to be helpful.

Thanks.
Midlands:Bayliss, Clemo, Eburn, Evans, Finney, Mayo, Morris, Rhead, Shutt, Upton, Waterhouse, Woodward, Wright, Woolley, Wyatt, 
Devon: Gillard, Jenkins, Manfield, Morrish, Palk, Salter, Shire, Scorse, Summers, Wood,
Dorset:  Fudge, Roberts,Trowbridge,
Montgomeryshire: Evans
Norfolk: Bond, Everard, Riches,
Somerset:Clothier, Hockey, Jenkins, Shire
Ireland:Mihill, Woodward, Zumach
Scotland:Lewis
Travellers:Cooper, Davies, Hughes, Manley, Orchard, Penfold, Roberts, Small, Wells/Wills

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 02 November 09 14:24 GMT (UK) »
Hello Devonblue,

Do you know anything more about your Lewis family?

Are you certain you have the right Louis Lewis?

Justin

Offline devonblue

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 02 November 09 15:11 GMT (UK) »
No I'm not at all certain!  But it's the first one I have ever found in the right time frame.

All I know is Bernard Lewis was born 10th Mar 1903.  He said he was born in the East End but his death cert said Edinburgh.  His marriage cert said his father was Louis Lewis, a taylor.

All his life he said he came from the East End and that he had several brothers and sisters including a Hymie and that he was Jewish by birth. One brother was a musician.  My family (he married my aunt) never met any of his family.

So clutching at straws to see where they lead me really. 

I did hear a long ago story once that some other Lewises were originally Tannebaums and aame from Prussia. One of these was a pianist.  I never fround out if it was the same family.
Midlands:Bayliss, Clemo, Eburn, Evans, Finney, Mayo, Morris, Rhead, Shutt, Upton, Waterhouse, Woodward, Wright, Woolley, Wyatt, 
Devon: Gillard, Jenkins, Manfield, Morrish, Palk, Salter, Shire, Scorse, Summers, Wood,
Dorset:  Fudge, Roberts,Trowbridge,
Montgomeryshire: Evans
Norfolk: Bond, Everard, Riches,
Somerset:Clothier, Hockey, Jenkins, Shire
Ireland:Mihill, Woodward, Zumach
Scotland:Lewis
Travellers:Cooper, Davies, Hughes, Manley, Orchard, Penfold, Roberts, Small, Wells/Wills