Author Topic: **COMPLETED** help plz....  (Read 3563 times)

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
**COMPLETED** help plz....
« on: Thursday 29 October 09 22:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

can anyone help please

Think it's probably a surname transcribed incorrectly  ???

trying to find family on 1881 c

William POPE b1833 Llanmartin, Monmouth  d1893 Labourer
Ruth              b1841 Peterstone, Monmouth d1885
Ruth H           b1870 Langstone 
Hosea ?        b1878 Langstone, Monmouth
Jessie N        b1880     "                    "

1891c William Pope widowed living with his mother Ann Pope and his children Ruth Herodia Pope & Hosea
and
1891c Jessie Naomi Pope living with her aunt Hannah FRANCIS also there's a nephew David Solomon Pope b1875 maybe the another son of William & Ruth's

Thanks  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: can someone help plz....
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 29 October 09 23:04 GMT (UK) »
Indexed as Roper - I used Ruth's details and she is shown as Ruth Roper b 1870 Langstone

RG11 Piece 5260 Folio 5 Page 3
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline karenlee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drive it like ya stole it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 29 October 09 23:12 GMT (UK) »

Hi Ladyhawk

This is the closest that I can find, they were transcribed as ROPER what do you think??

1881 Census Wales Monmouthshire Langstone
RG11/5260/5/3
Cottages

POPE
Wm Head Marr 48 Labourer Llanmartin
Ruth Wife Marr 40 Peterstone
Ruth Dau Unmarr 11 Langstone
A M Dau Unmarr 9 Langstone
Hy Son Unmarr 7 Langstone
D S Son Unmarr 5 Langstone
Hosea Son Unmarr 3 Langstone
Jessie Dau Unmarr 1 Langstone

Cheers
Karenlee
Census Information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 29 October 09 23:30 GMT (UK) »
Snap Karen - see above

I wish RC would hurry up and re-instate the red warning message as there are loads of duplicated replies at the moment so lots of wasted efforts
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
**COMPLETED** help plz....
« Reply #4 on: Friday 30 October 09 08:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Thank you both so much for your help - looks like the right family to me I tried a few combinations, pipe, pape, pupe, pop but I didn't think of Roper may never have found them in 1881 without your help

Very much appreciate your time  :)  :)

Offline PMP

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: **COMPLETED** help plz....
« Reply #5 on: Friday 18 December 09 11:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ladyhawk

I'm not sure if this is of interest to you but

17-Dec-1885    POPE Ruth        
In loving / memory of / Ruth Pope / died 17th December 1885 / aged 44 years ...

14-Jun-1911    POPE Hosea    In loving memory of / Hosea / the beloved husband of / Emily Margaret Pope / who departed this life / at Aberbeeg Police Station / June 14th 1911 / aged 34 years / ... PC Hosea Pope

These are both buried at Llandevaud Church. Llandevaud is a hamlet of Llanmartin.

I was brought up at Llandevaud and there were 2 families of Popes living in the area, I think they were related but not sure how.

Also
THE ABERBEEG GHOST?

The tree-canopied lonely stretch of road between Aberbeeg and Cwm is the sort of place that can fire people's darker imaginings. I have received quite a few posts since this site started regarding the presence of a ghost of a cloaked, tall-hatted man that is supposed to haunt the area nearer where the old Brondeg Filling Station was at the bottom of Cwm Big. It is said that this is the ghost of PC Hosea Pope who met his death violently back in 1911. Another such post arrived some weeks back fully convinced of the existence of this spirit and, as a result, I have looked further into the story of the unfortunate, untimely demise of PC Pope.

The story certainly captured the local imagination in its day with the headlines of the newspapers especially the Abertillery-based South Wales Gazette dominated by the story. So who was Hosea Pope and how did he meet his death? Was it murder or something else?

Hosea Pope was a 34-year-old man who had been married for just eight months and was in charge of Aberbeeg Police Station. He had been brought up in the village of Llanmartin, a few miles to the east of Newport before his transfer to Aberbeeg, just south of the fast-growing thriving coalopolis of Abertillery, which had just become the second biggest town in Monmouthshire. The change in scenery must have been dramatic for Llanmartin was and still remains an open rural place, whilst Aberbeeg was a busy industrial village hemmed in by steep mountainsides with a train junction serving both Ebbw Valleys and the dominating presence of the Webb's brewery.

At about 11 o’clock on the night of 14th July 1911, in the course of his duty, Pope tried to detain a man called James Wise on the Aberbeeg-Abertillery Road. This occurred at a spot on the opposite side of the road to the then newish Arael School. Wise it appears had been throwing stones.

A scuffle ensued between the two men, witnessed by a passer-by called Stephen Brown, who Pope asked for help in subduing Wise. Within moments of their grappling, Pope had dropped to the ground, dead, whilst Wise ran off in the direction of Abertillery, cutting down past Griffin Street and Arael Street.

Like Pope, Wise was 34 years of age. He had been born just up the road in Blaina but moved to Abertillery as a youngster. He was well-known in the locality, especially to the local constabulary, having been involved in several scrapes with them previously.

"Wilful Murder at Abertillery" screamed the headlines in the Gazette the following week and Wise was arrested and charged as such. However, Dr. Kemp had attended the scene and pronounced that the cause of death was heart failure. So was it murder?

The date for the hearing was set but the drama continued as Wise escaped from custody as he was being transferred on a train and tried to make his way back to Abertillery. He was subsequently rearrested and the trial went ahead in November.

Wise pleased not guilty and the jury within five minutes returned a verdict of manslaughter for which the defendant was sentenced to five years' penal servitude, a term of imprisonment that usually included hard labour and which had been introduced just over forty years earlier to replace transportation.

So what about stories of a ghost? Naturally such views will depend on whether you believe in such phenomena. The people of the Aberystruth judging by the Reverend Edmund Jones's account in the late 1770s had long held a belief in apparitions and the area has long traditions of stories of fairies such as the tylwyth teg and other such creatures. If you believe in ghosts and the like however, the story of a tall hat might rule out that it is that of Hosea Pope since by Edwardian times, the police uniform did not apparently contain such a helmet.

Hope this is of help
Regards

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: **COMPLETED** help plz....
« Reply #6 on: Friday 18 December 09 19:18 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for the information - I haven't looked at this line of the family for sometime!!

I need to dig out my papers again, if my memory serves me right  Ruth JONES married into the POPE family, she was the sister of Hannah JONES who married into the FRANCIS family and it's this line I've been tracing.

This information is very much appreciated  :)