Author Topic: 'GEM' Newport smack sunk 1861?  (Read 5267 times)

Offline Nanny McPhee

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
'GEM' Newport smack sunk 1861?
« on: Friday 30 October 09 06:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi

You are all so knowledgeable on this site, I just wonder if anyone has any interest in shipping in the Newport, area.

Am looking for the demise of a smack, a fishing vessel, named 'Gem' who sunk on 25th June 1861.  It was actually being used for movement of goods in the channel at that time.

I am interested in John Reynolds and his 2 sons from Awre/Blakeney.  John was the Master at the time of the tragedy!  All three lost their lives when the boat went down.   I am led to believe they may have been transporting treated iron for Trefil Mine, near Tredegar, which was the Tredegar Iron Company.

Thank you for your time in reading this!  Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Nanny McPhee 
Brown/Smith/Hunt/Edwards/David/Cawsey/Stokes/Jenkins/Jackson/
GLAMORGANSHIRE/MONMOUTHSHIRE
Brown/Smith/Harding/Pyatt/
SOMERSET
Bodman/Ledbury/Hancock/Morris/
WILTSHIRE
Elsmore/Ellsmore/Long/Heath/Morgan
FOREST OF DEAN

Offline syljun

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 'GEM' Newport smack sunk 1861?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 30 October 09 07:38 GMT (UK) »
Will see if any records in library of Gem. I am interested in David family of Glamorgan also Harding of Somerset. Village of "Stawell" Somerset prominent with Harding family.
David family - Llanelly and also Barry. Any connection? Regards, syljun

Offline Nanny McPhee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 06 November 09 19:13 GMT (UK) »
Hello Syljun

Thank you for your reply and the offer of a look up in the library, this is very kind of you.

My Harding family are from Camerton, Somerset, haven't found anything on Stawell as yet!  My John David is from Cardiff but was living in Llantwit Fardre, Glamorgan with wife Emily and children Hyacinth and Blanche in 1901, he was an engine driver.  I don't know anything else about his family, as yet although Barry isn't too far from Cardiff?

Sorry for the delay in replying, have had a good couple of Genealogy breaks this week with both sides of the family.  Must have an early night tonight.

Looking forward to hearing from you if you find anything.  Don't put yourself out though!

Nanny McPhee
SOMERSET
WILTSHIRE
FOREST OF DEAN

Offline syljun

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 06 November 09 19:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi, No connection to either family I'm afraid, pity.
I did go to Library and went through three books on shipwrecks in Bristol Channel but no reference to Gem. This was in Reference Library and Staff very helpful. Also informed they had had someone else enquiring about same boat but not sure when.
Sorry I could not be of help but suggest you try local papers for that year perhaps Gales Newspapers on-line. I should think it was of local interest to warrant a report in newspaper.
Syljun

Offline steve100

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 06 November 09 22:18 GMT (UK) »
I checked the local newspaper for the week leading up to the sinking,and the week after.I couldn`t see anything relating to the boat.There is a chance I could have missed it,but I don`t think I did.There was a weekly newspaper for the area at the time called The Merlin.
          I will double check again next week.

Census Information Crown

Offline Nanny McPhee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 06 November 09 22:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi again
Thanks so much for your help, I will check out the newspapers.  I think I might know who has been doing some research on this, Cousin Ivan!  He mentioned this sinking and now I am keen to find out more too.

What a shame we couldn't have been linked, there probably is one somewhere along the line but not a close one.  Have you tried Yahoo's Somerset Family History Group.  They have a lot of Parish Records online.  They are all very helpful too.

Once again, thanks for your time, I do appreciate it.  Good luck with your search.

Nanny McPhee
SOMERSET
WILTSHIRE
FOREST OF DEAN

Offline Nanny McPhee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 06 November 09 22:26 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Steve, you are so kind to have done that.  Will check out the Merlin as soon as I can.  The family were from the Forest of Dean and have checked on there also.  Found John Reynolds marriage 1835 but no mention on a burial for him and his two sons Thomas and Charles who lost their lives on the same trip also.

Take care.

Nanny McPhee
SOMERSET
WILTSHIRE
FOREST OF DEAN

Offline sirrah

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 09 January 10 22:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I have just read the posts regarding the Gem. John Reynolds was my 3xgreat grandfather and like the rest of his descendants i am researching the tragedy. I have been reliably informed that there was a fourth person on the boat who survived but haven't been able to trace the relevant documents to prove that to myself. Must keep trying now christmas is over.  Sirrah

Offline Nanny McPhee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 10 January 10 19:10 GMT (UK) »
Hello Sirrah

I have been requesting info on this subject on behalf of a 'cousin' of mine.  It is related to part of his family.  I will tell him about you and he will get in touch or will give me permission to give his details.  I think he is registered on Rootschat.  He has had a bit of a breakthrough with the story as far as I can remember.

Nanny McPhee
SOMERSET
WILTSHIRE
FOREST OF DEAN