Author Topic: 'GEM' Newport smack sunk 1861?  (Read 5268 times)

Offline Nanny McPhee

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 'GEM' Newport smack sunk 1861?
« Reply #9 on: Monday 11 January 10 13:42 GMT (UK) »
Hello Sirrah

Have just heard from Ivan

1.   I have recently received a report from the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Wales, what a mouthful, on Gem and now have reference numbers. The vessel sank in the river usk or near-by. It was 88 nt wooden sailing smack built 1842 carrying iron ore caught in a southerly gale, it foundered in the usk estuary.

2.  Confirmed Gem sank in the river usk near the pylons which cross over the river usk south of Newport. You can see it on google, close to the lock gates,bear in mind they say estimated position.

3.  If you look at the 1861 census for our John he is in Newport as Captain
of vessel Gem and he gives the names of the crew on board, this was in
April as well as a name of John Phelps or Philips born.1802 in Awre in
gloucestershire is given. The report on the enquiry into the tradgedy refers to one survivor as an old man no name given, so assumed to be name given in census 2 Months earlier. I have since tried to trace
this man and his family, He was born c1802 this makes him older than John Reynolds ie c1804  I believe the old man is John Phelps.

If you now search yourself, about  John Phelps family, including his children, i believe you may find
it interesting. start with Forest of Dean.net to begin`t bother with deaths/burials at this time as i am still searching for  them also some records appear missing.  Ivan

Brown/Smith/Hunt/Edwards/David/Cawsey/Stokes/Jenkins/Jackson/
GLAMORGANSHIRE/MONMOUTHSHIRE
Brown/Smith/Harding/Pyatt/
SOMERSET
Bodman/Ledbury/Hancock/Morris/
WILTSHIRE
Elsmore/Ellsmore/Long/Heath/Morgan
FOREST OF DEAN