Author Topic: Bakers Shop - Oxford Street, Belper  (Read 3238 times)

Offline MyHistory

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bakers Shop - Oxford Street, Belper
« on: Friday 30 October 09 12:10 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone can help.

I have traced part of my family on the 1881 census who owned a bakers shop on Oxford Street in the district of Belper.  I am looking for more information on this bakers i.e. name of the shop, how long they owned it for and maybe an advertisement in the local newspaper.....  I have searched online through the Derby Mercury but have had no luck.  Any ideas?

Thank you in advance.

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
Re: Bakers Shop - Oxford Street, Belper
« Reply #1 on: Friday 30 October 09 12:27 GMT (UK) »
hi,,what is the name of the family,,,i can search in the historical directories for them...i have access to one that shows many business in belper.
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MyHistory

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 30 October 09 12:29 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the quick reply!

The family name is Kemp, with Jonas Kemp being the head of the family.

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 30 October 09 13:03 GMT (UK) »
hi,,cant add much more im afraid,,,he is in the directory for derbyshire for 1874,,maybe this helps with your timeline. The directory just gives his name,job,and address as oxford street,,but no number.
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire

Offline MyHistory

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 30 October 09 13:17 GMT (UK) »
Thats a shame - thank you for taking the time to look its much appreciated

Offline spendlove

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 30 October 09 20:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

There is no Oxford Street in Belper, I have checked the 1881 Census and the address is
5 Oxford Street, Ripley, Derbyshire.

You can get access to Historical Directories on line at:-

http://www.historicaldirectories.org/hd/index.asp

Spendlove
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Spendlove, Strutt in London & Middlesex.

Offline cheshiremog

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • JACHs Jacksdale Area Culture & Heritage Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 31 October 09 12:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Myhistory

Yes Oxford Street is in Ripley which came under the district of Belper.  Oxford Street was pedestrianised in the late/mid 1980s (roughly).  At that time I do not think buildings were knocked down, so some may possibly go back to the 1880s, but of course there are all modern shop fronts now. On the 1881 I see that Jonas is at no 5 Oxford Street, if the numbering system has remained the same you may be able to pinpoint it from the following list of businesses there today:-
http://www.myripley.co.uk/businesses.htm
However the numbering system looks very odd.  I suspect that the numbering starts at the High Street end of Oxford Street, runs down own side of Oxford Street, then continues from the Park Road end of Oxford Street back up towards High Street.  I do not think the numbers are odd on one side and even on the other, I think the numbers follow on.  This would mean that no 5 is up at the High Street end.
Take a look at the Royal Mail postcode finder website which will pinpoint number 5 for you.

A number of very good local history books were published about Ripley - Ripley in pictures and the shops featured a lot - sometimes these come up for sale on ebay.

Mog
UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
General Information relating to villages of JACKSDALE, PYE HILL & WESTWOOD Notts
Cheshire - TAYLOR, HEAPY, KNOWLES, HAMPSON, CLAYTON, STONIER, PRITCHARD, NADIN, GALLIMORE
Staffs - HEAPY
Devon - CLIFT, VITTERY, TRIST, MOLLOY, COBLEY, LEAR, GUILFOYLE, BICKFORD, EPPS, BEAZLEY, DARKE, LANG, QUANT, BLANKENSHIP
Devon & Cornwall - CLIFT, LARK
Somerset -Frome -HEAPY
Derbys/Notts- COCKAYNE, PHEASEY, KNOWLES

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 31 October 09 13:50 GMT (UK) »
No 5 oxford street,Ripley is still a bakers today !!

Offline spendlove

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 31 October 09 14:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
It is possible to "Walk the Census", each area i.e. Ripley is split into Districts, so for example
on the 1901 Census on an actual Census image showing Kemp, Baker on the top you will see
Derbyshire > Ripley> District 5.

Click on District 5, on next page click on "View description of Enumeration District" which appear next to District 5.
You will then see a description of where the Enumerator started, which way he walked and where he finished.

"All houses on the South Side of Oxford Street, all Crossley Street" etc etc

This is quite difficult on early Census, because of demolition and re-build, but by 1901 is quite easy.
Spendlove.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Spendlove, Strutt in London & Middlesex.