Author Topic: Looking for the occupiers COMPLETE of the smithy daresbuy 1905  (Read 822 times)

Offline algy

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for the occupiers COMPLETE of the smithy daresbuy 1905
« on: Friday 30 October 09 12:43 GMT (UK) »
please would it be possible to find the owners of the blacksmiths shop (smithy) in daresbury, cheshire by using the 1905 census it's possible that a family named actons lived there.
thanks,
Algy.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for the occupiers of the smithy daresbuy 1905
« Reply #1 on: Friday 30 October 09 14:29 GMT (UK) »
There wasn't a census in 1905, only 1901 and 1911.  In 1901 the blacksmith was William Gill, living there with his wife Georgina and son John.  There was also an apprentice blacksmith named George Taylor.  Next door was a retired blacksmith and his wife William and Elizabeth Ellison.  There doesn't appear to have been any families by the name of Acton in the village at all.

Lizzie

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 30 October 09 14:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Again

The Acton family were there in 1911.  Mother, father, 2 daughters and an assistant blacksmith.  Sorry as far as I know, I can't post any further info about the 1911 census, it's against copyright rules as far as I know.  If you want to see the census, you will have to go to www.1911census.co.uk and pay the minimum necessary for the fewest look ups.

To see when the family moved in you would need to search the trades directories of the area for years between 1901 and 1911.

Lizzie

Offline algy

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 30 October 09 15:59 GMT (UK) »
Lizzie thank you for your help it is helping me to piece together the history of the smithy as I served my time there 1955 to 1961,
All the very best,
Algy.