Author Topic: Please help to identify which Ship?  (Read 2653 times)

Offline anjeyelf

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Please help to identify which Ship?
« on: Friday 30 October 09 14:29 GMT (UK) »
I'm trying to locate the name of the ship (and any other details that are written in the ship log books) which relative of mine sailed on to get to South Africa. She was visiting her uncle in Cape South Africa.

I believe Ellen KING  born 1908 (lived in Halebank, widnes, Lancashire) travelled from Southampton to Cape in South Africa at the end of 1947. But I have no idea what ship nor the dates, but it is likely to be towards the end of that year.

She arrived back in Southampton England on 19th March 1948 sailing on the Capetown Castle.

Many thanks for your help.

Offline hepburn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Please help to identify which Ship?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 30 October 09 15:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
    The ship was the "Cape town castle",of the Union line.
Ellen King age 40 housewife,address 59 Foundry lane,Hale bank,Widnes......Incoming Passenger arrived Southampton 19 March 1948.
stoke on trent. carson,wain,leese,shaw,key,scalley,mitchell,<br />james,<br /> nottingham,pollard,grice,<br />derbyshire,vallands,turton,howe.<br /> new zealand,turton<br /> canada,carson.<br />australia,mitchell,scalley,<br />

Offline anjeyelf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 30 October 09 16:20 GMT (UK) »
hi

Yes you are correct- this is the right person who returned to Southampton in 1948, but I'm trying to find out when she went to South Africa.
:)

Offline hepburn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 30 October 09 17:04 GMT (UK) »
Sorry can't help you there.... ???
stoke on trent. carson,wain,leese,shaw,key,scalley,mitchell,<br />james,<br /> nottingham,pollard,grice,<br />derbyshire,vallands,turton,howe.<br /> new zealand,turton<br /> canada,carson.<br />australia,mitchell,scalley,<br />

Offline hepburn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 30 October 09 17:22 GMT (UK) »
Have you tried online passenger lists?

Offline anjeyelf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 31 October 09 15:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I have access to UK Incoming passenger lists, but I was hoping that someone from Rootschat would have access to Outgoing from UK passenger lists.

Ellen KING  born 1908 (lived in Halebank, Widnes, Lancashire, England, UK) travelled from Southampton to Cape in South Africa in 1947.
There is a record of an E King travelling on the Capetown Castle in 1947, which is probably the same person.

This I have found out, but I do not know the actual ddmmyy Date. She was going to stay with her uncle Henry Houghton in Capetown and I wondered if this address was part of the ships logs.