Author Topic: computer help with vista. Completed  (Read 945 times)

Offline sirius

• RootsChat Senior
  • Sirius 9 light years away,same as ancestors Doh!
    • View Profile
computer help with vista. Completed
« on: Friday 30 October 09 18:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi.

An 80 year old neighbor has just got a new laptop with Vista it will be ungraded in a couple of weeks to windows 7.
He is having trouble loading the BT homehub disk I had a look,but I have never used Vista before when he loads the disk in the drive and clicks my computer the disk is not seen, it loaded ok in his old computer thats working with xp, I am bit lost with Vista and cannot find anything I would normally look at  eg run, search ........ help please

Regards and thanks
Sirius
Callison Callesen Calleson

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: computer help with vista
« Reply #1 on: Friday 30 October 09 19:16 GMT (UK) »
I am having problems with vista, I have tried to delete parental controls, because I am not a child and neither am I likely to allow any child to use this computer, as I have none.  But it has a password protection password on it which stops anyone from tampering with it.  Vista is more troublesome in my view.  My husband is looking for a code -breaker for vista to allow me to delete this part of it.  Apparently you can now get a legal copy of a downgrade to XP.  For all of you who like me are pulling your hair out.  You just have to look on the net for it apparently.  This came from a source who works with computers all the time and all sorts of electrical equipment.  He is hoping that by doing this he will be able to flatten the programme so that I can load something which works. A friend had not long bought Microsoft Windows? 7 and is trying that, am waiting for his input.
marcie
Scotlandorkney flett bell, strickland laird traillcalqahoun.
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet

Offline MKG

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Warts and all, they're all mine.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 30 October 09 19:24 GMT (UK) »
When you say the disk is not seen, do you mean that Vista is showing an empty drive, or do you mean that Vista can't see the drive at all? Just clicking on Computer in the pop-up menu (not My Computer - that one worried me a bit) will tell you that - is there a drive labelled CD or DVD? If you can't see the drive at all, then either there's a fault on the drive or Vista has missed it on installation for whatever reason. First things first, though - can you see that drive?

Mike
Griffiths, Howard, Johnson, McLeod, Rizz(a)(i)(o)
Berwick (Tweedmouth and Spittal), Blyth(N'land) between the wars, Wrexham, Tattersett

Offline sirius

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 30 October 09 19:32 GMT (UK) »

Yes you can see the drive, my neighbor has already loaded another disk for a printer with no problem, just need to know how to find the BT homehub disk to make it run.

Sirius

Offline MKG

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Warts and all, they're all mine.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 30 October 09 19:55 GMT (UK) »
Well, you've already answered the next question. Okay, you can see the drive and the computer can make the drive operate, as shown by the successful use of the printer disc. So, it's not the drive at fault and it's not Vista at fault. If, on inserting the BT disk, nothing shows up in the drive (ie you continue to see the drive label but no disk description, than the fault lies with the BT disk. (Or see the last paragraph below)

It may just need a clean - a fingermark over the start point can play havoc. Or it may be scratched - it's possible to polish out mild scratching, but deep scratching is rarely repairable. It may even be cracked. If cleaning doesn't work, I'm afraid it's back to BT for a new copy.

In case you don't know, use a non-abrasive cloth for cleaning, and don't use "spiral" movements. Work from the centre of the disk radially to the circumference.

Mike

Or have I misread the situation? The Vista Autostart function is temperamental to say the least. Double clicking on the disk icon will start any auto-routines on the disk. Failing that, right click on the icon and choose "Explore".
Griffiths, Howard, Johnson, McLeod, Rizz(a)(i)(o)
Berwick (Tweedmouth and Spittal), Blyth(N'land) between the wars, Wrexham, Tattersett

Offline sirius

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 30 October 09 20:04 GMT (UK) »

Hi Mike

Thanks for info,the thing is that I said before the disk has loaded in his old computer with no problem. I had a look at the disk and could not see any damage

Sirius

Offline les_looking

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 31 October 09 17:00 GMT (UK) »
was there any reason for loading the disc?
the router is just plug and play, and WILL work a lot better without the bt rubbish

Offline sirius

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 01 November 09 19:59 GMT (UK) »

update, computer was taken back to shop as he only had it a week chap in shop said he has had to do about 15 computers with same problem working ok now.