Author Topic: WW1 Silk Postcards  (Read 9426 times)

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
Re: WW1 Silk Postcards
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 09 November 11 15:01 GMT (UK) »
If conservancy processes improve then there would be no reason to keep them hidden. Here's hoping.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 26 November 11 08:25 GMT (UK) »
I know it seems such a shame to hide them away but they are irreplacable

Hi Pat

If you photograph them - or better still scan them - you can have them on a PC as a desktop background, say. Or take them to a photo printers and then mount the copies, without risking the originals. So you can have the benefit of the image without risking the cards.

As they come from the family you could scan them, then wrap them separately in acid-free tissue, and keep in a book that is not looked at much. They were sold in tissue envelopes, which were then brought home or sent in a normal envelope. I have never seen one 'postally used'. So even at the time the soldiers realised how delicate they were. I would not pay too much for conservation.

Ken

Offline littlemak

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 26 November 11 11:10 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou for the information Ken, I was not sure if I could scan them safely which is why I took a photograph in the first instance.
A scan would be so much better for imagery, and as you say I could then print them off to enjoy in a  frame.
Thankyou so much
Carol
Essex,U.K -Burton, Horsnell, Makaruk, Pennock
Suffolk, U.K -Crane, King, Argent, Bailey, Hickford, Webb
Cambridgeshire, UK- Argent
Yorkshire UK - , Argent
Poland- Makaruk
Ukraine - Makaruk or Makapyk

Unknown area- Lindsell