Author Topic: Surname of Culhane, Lumbard and Harnett  (Read 3708 times)

Offline roseland

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Surname of Culhane, Lumbard and Harnett
« on: Friday 30 October 09 19:41 GMT (UK) »
I have trying to research the Irish side of my family and have come up against a brick wall.  On one side I have Annie Culhane who was born in Cork on 29 Feb 1884 but was married in York in 1904 to William Price.  According to her marriage certificate Her Father was Charles William Culhane and a Farmer by occupation.  On the other side of my family I have James Harnett born c1851 and Catherine Lumbard c1852 both from Cork but married in Cardiff on 4 August 1868.  James Father was John Harnett (deceased at time of marriage) and Catherines Father was Stephen Lumbard.   I would be interested in finding birth certificates for all of these.  Can anyone lead me in the right direction please.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Surname of Culhane, Lumbard and Harnett
« Reply #1 on: Friday 30 October 09 21:29 GMT (UK) »
An index to civil records is available online at : http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#c=1408347;p=2;t=searchable

These records cover BMD from 1864. If you find promising matches you can order certs from the GRO using the reference details (name,district, year/quarter, volume & page) - see : http://www.groireland.ie/apply_for_a_cert.htm  Non Catholic marriages (i.e. those that did not take place in an RC church) where registered from 1845.

There will not be any certs for earlier records. For these you would need to search for parish records, which require you to know where the events took place (i.e. parish or townland) and the religion of the people involved.

where in Co. Cork was Annie born ?

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline roseland

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 31 October 09 18:34 GMT (UK) »
Hello Shane, thanks very much for this.  Unfortunately everytime I click on the link I just end up with a blank page, I have tried this several times with the same effect.   I also have no idea where exactly Annie Culhane was born, just that it was County Cork.  Would seem as if I have a real task on my hands!
Kind regards, Carla

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 31 October 09 18:53 GMT (UK) »
The familysearch pilot site uses the Adobe Flash control in your browser, and this can cause problems for some people - there have benn discussions about this - I'll try to find where this was discussed before and post a link. The first thing to try is to refresh the blank page you get.. usually you do this by pressing the F5 function key (this depends on the type of browser you you use), another idea is to try a different web browser - e.g. if you use Internet Explorer try the familysearch site with Firefox or Chrome..

I'll have search for Annie's birth, but without knowing a rough location there may be quite a few results.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline roseland

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 05 November 09 17:12 GMT (UK) »
Hello Shane,  MY apologies for not responding earlier but I have been away for a few days.  Thank you so much for offering to help.  I have just found some additional information from a distant relative - presumably Annie Culhane was in fact born Joanna Culhane but changed her name when she got married to Annie as her husband thought it was too old fashioned!  I do hope I haven't put you to too much trouble looking for a birth record for Annie Culhane?  I would still be grateful if you come up with anything if you could possibly let me know.
Once again, very many thanks
Carla

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 05 November 09 18:19 GMT (UK) »
I think a firstname of Joanna may be less frequent than Anne/Annie - which might help...

No immediate matches but the surname Culhane - but when I tired variations this one jumped out at me, right year, correct first name, and the surname could sound like Culhane :

Name: Johanna Cullinane
 Registration district: Macroom
 Record type: Birth
 quarter and year: Oct - Dec 1884
 Volume: 5 / Page: 426

I'll continue keep searching, but thought I should mention that one for you to think about...

Macroom is a town about 40km to the west of Cork City.

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline roseland

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 05 November 09 23:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi again, unfortunately I do not think this is the one as the date of birth I have is 29 February 1884 and the one you have found is Oct - Dec 1884, but I can see why it would look good. 
Thanks again for your hard work, very much appreciated.
Best wishes
Carla

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 06 November 09 09:38 GMT (UK) »
where do you have the date of birth from ?

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline roseland

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 06 November 09 10:07 GMT (UK) »
I got it from her death record.  She died in Sutton, Surry in 1977.
Regards
Carla