Author Topic: A Lady Chatterly mystery?  (Read 2763 times)

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
Re: A Lady Chatterly mystery?
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 17 March 05 16:17 GMT (UK) »
I remember clearly how when "Lady Chatterly" came out in the early 1960's, all these boys at my school were furtively reading it hidden behind the covers of other books.  (Not me, I took my copy home and read it secretly there...)
Sorry about that reminiscence, can't help you with your query, though I hope it's soon out in the open (unlike those D.H.Lawrence paperbacks).

Offline Andy_T

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 07 February 19 14:32 GMT (UK) »
Better a late reply than no reply.
I can't confirm if this gamekeeper and Anne (Annie) Thornton were officially married but perhaps I can add a few bits of the jigsaw puzzle about James Wade's whereabouts and his employers names.
I did live near to the Lawn Farm near Meakeaton Park and now houses are built on the farm and Derby Rugby Social club is there (or it was when I moved to SE Asia in 2001).
According to a newspaper report in 1869 of a marriage at nearby Mackworth, Derby. Mary Thornton was the eldest daughter of late George Thornton and wife Mary. Perhaps you could check records of the Mackworth church for Anne (Annie) Thornton?

BTW Mansfield is in Nottinghamshire (not Derbyshire).

I looked at https://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk and put their names separately in the search box:

Published: Saturday 13 April 1867, Newspaper: Nottingham Journal, County Nottinghamshire, England:
—George Priestley was charged, remand, with pursuing game on certain lands in the parish of Newark, on the 3Uth ult.—. James Wade, gamekeeper to J. Thorpe, Esq., said on the ult. he .was near the Newark Rifle Corps butts, and saw Priestley up Mr. Cooper’s ...  "

Published: Saturday 18 October 1879, Newspaper: Weston Mercury, County: Somerset, England:
AXUEIDQE PETTY SESSIONS .. dismissed the first charge, and fined him Is. for the last offtnee, la. damage and costs. Edward Roger was summoned by James wade, gamekeeper, in the employ Mr. Edward Body, Wrington, for trespassing on his lands in search of conies on the 2nd inst.-Prosecutor ... "

Friday 07 May 1869, Newspaper: Derbyshire Advertiser and Journal, County: Derbyshire, England
"MARRIAGES . Middle Hill. Toplis—Thornton —On the 28th ult.. at Mackworth Church, by the Rev. Wm. Gilder, M.A., vicar, Mr. Thomas Toplis, of Wenlock, Salop, to Mary, eldest daughter of the late Mr. George Thornton, of the Lawn Farm, Markeaton. Rowland ... "

" MARKEATON, NEAR DERBY. Messrs. Cumberland and sons are instructed bv the representatives the late Mrs. Thornton, to SELL AUCIION, tho Lawn Farm, MONDAY, April 2lst, 1890, the whole of the Live and Dead FARM .STO-'K. o)mpri«iing— BEASTS, via. ... "

Andy_T
Thurman, Coleman, Beck, Shaw

Online Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 08 February 19 12:02 GMT (UK) »
The OP hasn't been logged in to rootschat for over 6 years, but if she has the same email address she should receive notification of your reply.

Offline Andy_T

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 08 February 19 12:15 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Ruskie and well noted.
Andy_T
Thurman, Coleman, Beck, Shaw