Author Topic: Please help or advise - Re: John Lewis  (Read 2094 times)

Offline Retpara

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Please help or advise - Re: John Lewis
« on: Saturday 31 October 09 10:37 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone help or please advise me,
I am trying to trace my Gt Gt Grandfather believed to come from the Dolgelly area. I have traced his son my Gt Grandfather a John Lewis who married an Elizabeth Angel in 1872 in Llangelynin, Dolgellau and after looking at the 1881 Census shows (his son) John to be born about 1843 on checking his birth through BMD there seems to be three John Lewis's born in 1843 in the Dolgelly area.
My question is that if I obtained a marriage certificate for John and Elizabeth to check his father's name, what are the chances that John's father's christian name might be the same as the other John Lewis's born in the same year.
Here's hoping someone can help.
Thanks Retpara.

Offline brynhyfryd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Please help or advise - Re: John Lewis
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 03 November 09 19:53 GMT (UK) »
If you are sure about the marriage, then I would definitely order the certificate. This will provide other information besides father's name e.g. father's occupation, witness names, which may well help you to narrow down your search.

Good luck
Stan
Hudson:Hutson:Oliver:Perkin:Turner:Davies:Edmunds:Jones:Smith:Evans - Montgomeryshire
Beamond - Shropshire
Jones:Atkinson:Davies:Williams - Denbighshire
Jones:Evans - Merionethshire

Offline Retpara

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Please help or advise - Re: John Lewis COMPLETED
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 07 November 09 09:07 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for the advice Stan, I will try this road and get in touch with the registrar at Dolgellau and hope this will help.
Retpara.