Author Topic: Windows 7 upgrade  (Read 25912 times)

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
Re: Windows 7 upgrade
« Reply #45 on: Thursday 26 November 09 22:13 GMT (UK) »
You can only actually type in one or the other though at any one time or am I missing something?

Am referring to the 'Snap' facility.

Can't get Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor to run on my PC.

I did check the Windows site for advice. The program downloads, I click 'Run' and it disappears. No message from my security progam.

Can anyone get the 'Shake' facility to work?

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline stevieuk

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Friday 27 November 09 06:27 GMT (UK) »
You can only actually type in one or the other though at any one time or am I missing something?

Am referring to the 'Snap' facility.

Ahh, knew I had to be missing something... :)

Can't get Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor to run on my PC.

I did check the Windows site for advice. The program downloads, I click 'Run' and it disappears. No message from my security progam.

Strange ???

Can anyone get the 'Shake' facility to work?

Jamjar

Shake works on mine.

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Friday 27 November 09 11:34 GMT (UK) »
Perhaps with writing like mine though handwriting recognition is not such a good idea!

Try it with some of Gordon Brown's handwriting - if it works for his, it'll work for anyone !  ;D

RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Friday 27 November 09 15:47 GMT (UK) »
A friend of ours changed his from 32 to 64 bit and I am still waiting for his re-action to the new program.

My husband doesn't like Vista at all, he was thinking of changing his back to XP.  I am not keen because it is so slow,  but Vista does have some nobby little things with regards framing photos etc. and I produce a magazine for a Charity for their volunteers, with a friend of mine who is a volunteer and works there.  So now I am waiting to see his answer and I am very interested in everyones opinions on 7 on Rootschat.
Scotlandorkney flett bell, strickland laird traillcalqahoun.
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Friday 27 November 09 17:38 GMT (UK) »
My writing is worse than Gordons! Shortly before I took early retirement I clerked a major meeting, in connection with the reorganization that caused my retirement. I then went back to my own job, which was very busy, preparing for the reorganization, senior management asked for my notes so that they could write the meeting up. They abandoned the attempt in despair, shortly after I retired.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Emjaybee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Yer I be again
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Wednesday 02 December 09 15:21 GMT (UK) »
BSOD HITS WIN 7

Here we go folks, Microsoft has acknowledged that a Black Screen of Death has been hitting PCs with Win 7.
Beard Voyce, Scrivens in Worcestershire

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Friday 04 December 09 15:49 GMT (UK) »
Saw an article on BSOD yesterday, apparently it can hit XP Vista and W7, so be very careful when downloading updates from microsoft, as they can increase vulnerabilities and let it in. There is a fix apparently.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Friday 04 December 09 16:25 GMT (UK) »
BSOD HITS WIN 7

Here we go folks, Microsoft has acknowledged that a Black Screen of Death has been hitting PCs with Win 7.

The security company which first made this claim has withdrawn it and apologised to Microsoft. Further investigation has shown that those computers affected appear to have  been hit by some form of Malware.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8388253.stm

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Thursday 10 December 09 20:40 GMT (UK) »
Has anyone got any further news on Windows ?

I need to get a new laptop and I'm still trying to decide whether to retreat to Mac or to go with W7  :-\

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***