Author Topic: Can anyone help with a Date of my photograph of Irishtown now I know where it is  (Read 9462 times)

Paul E

Re: We love helping Date Photographs
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 10 March 05 22:36 GMT (UK) »
How about sending it to the Manchester Evening News and seeing if they'll publish it to see if anyone recognises the building?

Paul

Offline NigelG

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 11 March 05 00:26 GMT (UK) »
Editted - just realised the ER on the Postbox must be Edward VII  :-[
Davies, Edwards, Evans, Griffiths, Hughes, James, Jones, Morgan, Nicholas, Powell, Prytherch, Rees, Williams in Glamorgan, Brecon, PEM, CMN & MGY

Biddle, Budd, Clark/e, Davis/Davies, Elliott, Emery, Harper, Harris, Lloyd, Parsons, Phillips, Pitt, Reed/Reid/Read/Rhead, Rogers, Scandrett, Smith, Tyler & Waldron in Staffs, Worcs, Hef, Cheshire, Shrops., Middlesex & Surrey.

Cooghan/Coogan/Cogan - Castleblaney, Co Monaghan

Census Information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 11 March 05 02:59 GMT (UK) »
Sarah,

What brilliant close-ups!  Presumably you can also get ones of the sign ---town and of the contents of the windows?

I wonder whether the cipher of a new monarch was quickly introduced and equally quickly removed from wall letter-boxes - if so, that would put a fairly tight date limit on the photo (Edward VII's reign being 1901-1910).

Luna seems to be an uncommon name in England - only 6 in the 1881 census on FamilySearch (and only 1 in the 1881 census in Scotland - from free surname search on ScotlandsPeople).  39 in the free search on the 1901 but none in Manchester (and no bootmakers - assuming that's what's meant by the 'heels' under the name).

Judy   

Offline NigelG

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 11 March 05 08:55 GMT (UK) »
Also wondered if the building was multi purpose as the text on the upstair's windows seem to indicate that there was a tailor or dressmaker using the upper floors?

Could the "heels" mentioned above the main door also indicate they did shoe repairs?

Wondered if this may be something to consider when searching though any available directories  ???
Davies, Edwards, Evans, Griffiths, Hughes, James, Jones, Morgan, Nicholas, Powell, Prytherch, Rees, Williams in Glamorgan, Brecon, PEM, CMN & MGY

Biddle, Budd, Clark/e, Davis/Davies, Elliott, Emery, Harper, Harris, Lloyd, Parsons, Phillips, Pitt, Reed/Reid/Read/Rhead, Rogers, Scandrett, Smith, Tyler & Waldron in Staffs, Worcs, Hef, Cheshire, Shrops., Middlesex & Surrey.

Cooghan/Coogan/Cogan - Castleblaney, Co Monaghan

Census Information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 11 March 05 09:24 GMT (UK) »
Could the '& Luna' refer to Luna cigars.....would they have been available/popular in the timescale being suggested?
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 11 March 05 21:15 GMT (UK) »
What great ideas you have !

Nigel,  the Post Box is a great clue it gives us a date the latest of 1901 but did they only use these boxes in England or could it be Northern Ireland ?

I have had a PM from a lovely lady who made a sharp observation about Dress Warerooms in the window. Warerooms is not a commonly used word in England hhmmm

Judy, it does become a bit clearer  now  :( but it is good you have picked up on the name Luna with Scotsmum.

Sarah ;D

For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 11 March 05 21:18 GMT (UK) »

Here is the Window to the left.
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 12 March 05 03:37 GMT (UK) »
Sarah,

At the time of Edward VII (1901-1910), I would assume that such postboxes would be used throughout the whole of Ireland - all of which was, at that time, under the rule of Edward VII.

Yes, I noticed the dress warerooms and the word surprised me.  It's not in my dictionaries but I did find it online e.g. in a 1913 Webster's where it was defined as a room in which goods are stored or exhibited for sale.

I've tried "dress warerooms" in Google - it brings up entries in Limerick and in Dublin (remember earlier we saw that there was an Irishtown in Dublin, and I now see that there's an Irishtown in Limerick too).

Judy

Offline earley-bird

• RootsChat Senior
  • I am ready for something...but I don't know what!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 12 March 05 08:39 GMT (UK) »
Iam sorry to be an anorak but  ::)

I couldn't help noticing the building design and construcion. Its quite interesting.
I'm not sure if you have a date ? I would have put it around the turn of the century anywhere between 1895 and 1910 . (Could be a  bit out as this is likely to be in  a provincial town and fashions in everything tended to be  years behind London, Paris etc.  ) The post box could easily have been added at a later date so would normally be an unreliable indicator  of the buildings age however I am pretty sure that in this instance it is contempoary

It might be worth checking with the Bath costume museum see if they could suggest a date
Note the telephone wires to the top corner ! Even shops in provinincial towns could afford the new telephones  :)

The building at first appearance seems to be well constructed if a little grandiose. Witness the stone plinth and lintols , the nicely stepped brick pediment at first floor level particularly the rubbed brick pillar at the entrance. This would have involved some pretty careful and lengthly labour rubbing the bricks to achieve the rounded appearance of a column.
The entrance is rather a neat design . not only unusual and attractive but very practical as it offers a fairly large covered porch to offer protection for both the entrance and customers from the weather.

Now cast your eyes up to the first floor and its an entirely differant story.

The walls are rather incongruously pebble dashed..this is  to offer some weather protection but more importantly  allows the use of a much cheaper inferior brick.
The detailing above the first floor level is simple and severe to the extreme. This was clearly a cost cutting exercise. Probably because the special detailing below and costly interior fittments and fittings had severly dented the budget .!

The barge boards are the plainest I've ever seen on a building of this age and completly at odds with the lavish embellishments below. Normally these would have been carefully shaped and pierced with a finishing finial and a chance for the carpenter to show off his skills. They should be the `icing on the cake' instead of which they are simple plain board.

To the side of the property the fascia boards are completly missing !? (under the gutter) here the rafter `feet' are on show,unprotected and  exposed to the elements.. This is a real no no in building terms and either an oversight or severe cost cutting exercise as even a layperson can see something is missing.

The brick detailing on the chimney nicely echoes the detailing below but everything else about this roof including the double pitch construction with central gutter shouts cheap cost cutting.

The woodwork and paintwork is in excellent condition and there is very little water staining or soot blacking on the light stonework particulary at ground level so I would say this building is probably  less than 10 years old  possibly as little as 2-3 when the photo was taken.

I would have thought it more likely that the dress wareroom should be dressware room  ??? ::)

Whitchurch, Westminster / Buckinghamshire
Cooper,     Westminster
Pollard     Surrey
Earley,  Holborn London
Bruce,  London
Kangeisser  London
Lawlor, Widnes Lancashire
Hagan   Widnes Lancashire

All Census Lookups are are Crown Copyright, National Archives for academic and non-commercial research purposes only, I support copyright, a Wife, 2x children  a dobie, 2 x cats, a Tawny owl. and several mice if the drop