Author Topic: Emigrating from England to NZ completed  (Read 2398 times)

Offline petere

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Emigrating from England to NZ completed
« on: Wednesday 09 March 05 21:15 GMT (UK) »
Hello all,
Family rumour has it that Gt aunt Rose emigrated from England to New Zealand. She was married in Dec 1918 in England and I can find no evidence of any children after that, therefore if she emigrated it could have been soon after her marriage.
Where do I go from here please? Can I check ship's passenger list and if so how? Do I need more information, ie a date, before I can make a realistic search.

Thanks     ---   Peter E

melaniep

Re: Emigrating from England to NZ
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 10 March 05 05:23 GMT (UK) »
OK Here I sit in Auckland wanting to help! What was her married name, and any dates eg birth, marriage, would be helpful, as would her husbands name. I can do a search on all the ships, but may take a while!

Offline petere

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 10 March 05 19:26 GMT (UK) »
Melanie,

Thanks so much for the look up offer.

I'm looking for Christian Jensen (probably a Danish national ) and his wife Rose Victoria (my gt aunt).
She was formerly Coates, but that husband was killed in WW1, and her maiden name was Evans.

Rose was born in 1889 in Paddington, London and she married Christian in London 21/12/1918. Her parents were William and Elizabeth (nee Tanner).

Christian was born about 1880 and was a mechanical engineer. His father was Neils Jensen.

Thank you so much. Anything you find will be gratefully received.

Regards    --   Peter Evans

Offline petere

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 12 March 05 10:31 GMT (UK) »
Melanie,
I have had a thought about the rumour of a family member emigrating to NZ.
Rose had a twin sister Violet May. If nothing can be found of Rose and Christian emigrating then I wonder if the rumour related to the other twin eg Violet and got mixed up in time?
Violet married Charles Daniel Avent (born c/1890 London) in London in 1910. They had 11 children all born in London. Charles 1911, George 1912, Bertha 1914, Violet 1915, Henry 1917, Jack 1920, Rose 1921, Christopher 1923, Richard 1924, William 1927 and Margaret 1932. Therefore they would have to have emigrated after 1932.

Thank you so much for your help.

Regards   ---   Peter

melaniep

« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 15 March 05 07:55 GMT (UK) »
HI Peter, have hit  a big snag. All the passenger lists I have are prior to 1900 so no luck there. There are only two Avents in the whole NZ phone book! Will keep trying but its not looking hopeful at the moment, sorry

Offline petere

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 15 March 05 19:12 GMT (UK) »
Melanie,
Thank you for your efforts.
I have some pictures of "aunt Rose & Jack" which could be taken in NZ dated 1967.
I have another picture of Aunt Rose taken in 1969 in Kenton or Kinton. Is there such a place in NZ?
There is a Kenton in Greater London but that would mean that Rose had returned to the UK.    ??? ???

Regards   -   Peter

melaniep

« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 15 March 05 19:39 GMT (UK) »
just sent you a private message