Author Topic: Italian immigrants crossing border to Canada from NY  (Read 843 times)

Offline shaw.shoo

• RootsChat Member
  • at it since 1977, what a difference internet makes
    • View Profile
Italian immigrants crossing border to Canada from NY
« on: Monday 02 November 09 00:15 GMT (UK) »
hello,
my ancestors immigrated from Italy and landed in NY in various ports.

What would have been the typical route they would haven taken to Canada. Most of them ended up in southern BC but some went to AB & SK. I have them in 1901, 1906 and 1911 Census.

Offline JDC

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Passed away 26th June 2022.
    • View Profile
Re: Italian immigrants crossing border to Canada from NY
« Reply #1 on: Monday 02 November 09 13:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Shaw,

There are many routes that your ancestors could have taken, both Canadian and American. If they came in the late 1800s and/or early 1900s they could have come through Buffalo NY and then traveled north to "the Lakehead" Thunder Bay (then called Port Arthur and Fort William) and the across to Winnipeg and then travelling further West to BC. At that time there was a large migration to the Canadian West of which they may have been a part. I would look at the road maps and see where they are and this would give you a good indication where the travel routes would have been in the early days.

If they came via an American route, there are many boarder crossing along the US/Canadian western boarder where they could have crossed over to go to any western province. They could very likely have also taken a laker ship from their place of origin in NYS, or Ontario, to the port of Port Arthur and then continued west from there by rail . Another likely way of getting there would have been by train, right from NYS. I believe the CN Rail was the passenger train company - owned by the Government of Canada and they had rail linesl from Canadian coast to coast.  There would have been trains crossing crossing the US/Canadian border as well to make travel connections.

Sorry not to be more specific, but these are some of the ways your Italian ancestors could have reached their destinations in the Canadian west. Hope it helps you though,

JDC
Carpenter - B'ham Warwick,
Cole - Devon
Coy - Germany
Langmaid - Cornwall & Hants
Rayment - Herts & Kent
Holt - ? England