Author Topic: Clara Logan born 1882 Guernsey  (Read 6698 times)

Offline Apperley

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Clara Logan born 1882 Guernsey
« on: Monday 02 November 09 12:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi, wonder if anyone can help me find out where in Guernsey Clara Logan was born. Year of birth was 1882 her parents were John Robert Logan and Nancy (Annie) Julia Domaille. Been searching for a Clarice Eileen Logan but now finding out she may of been born as Clara Eileen Logan and year of birth different to first thought! Is there anyone out there who is related to the Logan's from Guernsey?? Like to hear from anyone who has information on either the Logan's or Domaille's linked to Clara.
Thanks all.

Offline bristol170

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Clara Logan born 1882 Guernsey
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 10 November 09 19:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Apperley

I had a look for Clara's record today at the Priaulx Library but didn't find her- although this doesn't mean she's not there! So instead I thought I'd look for her parents' marriage. Here's what I found:

John Robert Logan, of Castel, son of Daniel, married Nancy Julia Domaille, daughter of Thomas, of Vale, on 17th February 1880 at Vale Church.

This led me to find Nancy's baptism record:

Nancy Julia Domaille baptised 19 Dec 1849 at Vale Church, daughter of Thomas Domaille, fisherman, of Goubeys, Vale, and Nancy Bisson his wife.

I hope that is of some use, and at least it will give you a starting point. For your information, Vale is the most northeastern parish of Guernsey, while Castel is the central western parish.

Best regards,

Andy

Offline Apperley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 10 November 09 19:21 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Andy, great starting point, was beginning to think she had come from outer space! Your information is really helpful. Thanks for taking the time to look into records for me. If you ever find out anything about Clarice Eileen or Clara Eileen! please remember l will still be looking!
Thanks again Andy
Regards
Sandie

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 10 November 09 19:41 GMT (UK) »
Don't know if this will help - do you have her on 1891/1901 census???

1901 she is Clara E 19 b St sampsons- father not home - mother Annie J age 50-3 siblings at home

1891 she is Clare age 9 B Vale- father John 35 , mother nancy 42 + 4 siblings

full census if required

there is a marriage reg freeMD
Clarice Eileen Logan Sept qtr 1909 paddingon district

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Apperley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 11 November 09 18:54 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that Suz, now obtained copies . Really helping with these pointer, can't thank you enough. Just need her birth records, but contacted Gurnsey Office's and they havent got any record. Perhaps her birth didnt get registered?? Did that happen ever?? noticed that her siblings did get registered.
Kind Regards
Sandie

Offline bristol170

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 11 November 09 21:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sandie

when you say you contacted the Guernsey Office, do you mean the Greffe? They have the indexed records. However there are a tiny number of missing entries, as with any major index, and once in a while there were births that didn't get registered despite it being a legal requirement by the early 1840s.
 The alternative, by which I mean Church records, have been copied on film and can be checked at the Priaulx Library in St Peter Port- that's where I looked- but if the Logans were not Church of England then the records would be among the minority chapels and churches, and could take a little longer to find.
 It is always possible that despite what the Censuses say, Clara/Clarice may have been born elsewhere, for example in Jersey or England.

I'll try to take a look next time I visit the library, time permitting.

Best regards

Andy

Offline Apperley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 12 November 09 07:16 GMT (UK) »
Yes it was the Priaulx Library that l contacted, did'nt know there was anywhere else that l could contact for a search. They sent back some records but could'nt find any birth records for Clarice Eileen. Difficult as on her passport it states she was born in 1885/6 but no records of any person with that name being born in that year!! So are soem records just held in the local parishes??
Thanks again Andy, you are being so helpful.
Kind Regards
Sandie

Offline bristol170

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 13 November 09 17:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi again Sandie

I took another look today but still no luck. The only Logan child from John Robert and Nancy Julia I could find was:
Julia Ellen Logan baptised at the Vale Church on 8 Sep 1885.
Nancy Julia Domaille also seems to have had a natural child in 1868 named Emilie Julie Domaille, baptised 12 Jan 1868.

Hope this isn't too disappointing!

Best wishes

Andy

Offline Apperley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 13 November 09 18:37 GMT (UK) »
No Andy, all helps, can't thank you enough for looking. Take care and thanks again
Kind Regards
Sandie