Author Topic: William POOLE  (Read 6827 times)

Offline Ochsenkopff

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William POOLE
« on: Tuesday 03 November 09 01:01 GMT (UK) »
Hello
Sorry but the information I have is very small but I am hoping you may be able to help.
William Poole in the 1881 Census for Gloucestershire is given as being born in Bath Somerset age is 66 a shoemaker .
Information on a marriage for him is given as married to Elizabeth Ridler but not the place of marriage so he possibly married about 1833 - 1840 bath but only guessing.
Apparently moved from Bath to Gloucestershire as William and his wife Elizabeth is living with his two brothers John and George near Rodborough Gloucester.
Do not want to waste your time and effort appreciate any info Possible.

Thank you

Colin

Offline karenlee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drive it like ya stole it.
    • View Profile
Re: William Poole
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 03 November 09 01:08 GMT (UK) »
Colin

According to FreeBMD William POOLE and Elizabeth RIDLER married in Stroud District, Gloucestershire Dec Quarter 1840.  Ref details are Vol 11 Page 629

The 1841 Census for Gloucestershire shows a William and Elizabeth POOLE living in Butcher's Row St Philip and St Jacob Barton Regis, Clifton.  Two daughters Elizabeth and Eliza.  William's occupation is Bootmaker.

Cheers
Karenlee
Census Information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ochsenkopff

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 03 November 09 01:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Karenlee
You certainly surprize me with how fast you return information but this info for me is not good as it dashes my hopes of having the right William Poole.
My William Poole in the 1841 Census for Cirencester, Stroud, Tetbury has him at the age of 25 Elizabeth P 25 John P 20 and George Poole 20
Do not know where this family came from but was hoping that I could tie up some loose ends.

Thank you so much for your time

Colin

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 03 November 09 16:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Colin,
I have followed the William from 1881 census. If he is your one he appears to have married 2 Elizabeth/Elizas.

On 1881 Census he has a much younger wife than the 1841 Census

1851 Census
Rodborough, Glous
HO107/1965/470/5

William POOLE, Head, Widower, 37, Master Shoemaker, born Glous, Rodborough
Fanny, 5, Daug
Morris, 3, Son
George, 1, Son,  all born Rodborough
Jane Ridley, Servant, 13

1861 Census he is still a widower, 3 children still at home in Rodborough. RG9/1776/84/10
He is now born Bath, Somerset

1871 Census
Rodborough, Glous
RG10/2637/8/7

William POOLE, Head, Mar, 56, Shoemaker, born Batts(sic), Somerset
Eliza, Wife, Mar, 40, Woollen Cloth Worker, born Bisley, Glous
George, Son, Unm, 22, Carpenter/journeyman, born Rodb, Glous
Lydia, Daug, 3, born Rodb
Alice, Daug, 1 , born Rodb

So remarried about 1866ish

Possible Marriage ( there are others but this seem  to fit);
William POOLE
Eliza MAY ( on same page)
June 1867
Stroud 6a 531

1881 he is born Bath, aged 66 as you say and Elizabeth 50 born Bisley. Alice is still at home and new child Henry aged 8.

If this is all correct first Eliza died abt 1850 after birth of George.
So just before 1851 census.
A birth cert of one of the younger children eg Alice, would confirm details of Eliza and whether William was a widower.

Marriage cert of William to either Eliza/Elizabeth would give his Fathers name.

Cheers,
Trish :)

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Ochsenkopff

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 04 November 09 03:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Trish
All that hard work you have done for me has been dashed by the 1841 Census that Karenlee sent me.
William Poole a bootmaker was with his wife and two female children.

My William poole in the 1841 Census aged 25 was said to be with Elizabeth 25 John 20 and George 20 so my assumption of William Poole the bootmaker was wrong but both Williams are living in the Stroud Rodbough area.
It is so easy to assume.
Now I do not know what to do next to trace My William down and to prove that he is my William.

Can not thank you enough.

Colin   

Offline Ochsenkopff

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 04 November 09 04:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Trish
A correction to my last message Karenlee had given info that William Poole, wife and two girls were living in Barton Regis Clifton 1841 Census not Stroud, Rodbourough area as i had written earlier but apparently had moved there later so that is where all my confusion has crept in, then apparently we must have two William Pooles in the same area at the same time about the same age
Back to the drawing board and see if I can mess up again.

Colin

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 04 November 09 09:25 GMT (UK) »
Ok, if you think your one is the William married to Elizabeth RIDLER then it may not be the one Karenlee found as they did not marry til 1840. So it is unlikely they had 2 children in 1841 census.

Back to the drawing board ::)

Which child of William and an Elizabeth are your descended from?. Please give place and date of birth etc.

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 04 November 09 09:51 GMT (UK) »
you mention Bath - i don't know if you are aware of this site  :)

http://www.bathbmd.org.uk/

Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchive

Offline Ochsenkopff

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 05 November 09 01:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Trish
William Poole himself would be the brother of my G.G.Grandfather. John Poole who was in the 1841 Census with another brother George and possibly Elizabeth the wife of William.
all living to-gether.
John Poole in other Census has been given Brimscombe as his birth place but no proof from records of Stroud or Minchinbury his birth between 1814-1820
I was trying to find information of the birth places of William and George and knowing that John's father was listed as Thomas on his marriage certificate I though the best way to do that was to find what I could about William Poole and George Poole.

Was it wrong to do it this way or should I have tried to explain it better.
I find it very hard to try and prove things here in Australia when we do not have that much info on things as well as I still class myself as a novis

I really do appreciate what everyone does for me but sometimes I do not give enough info to start off with.

Sorry.

Colin