Author Topic: Robertson of Glasgow  (Read 4525 times)

Offline 'Trish'

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Robertson of Glasgow
« on: Tuesday 03 November 09 15:45 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if anyone could take my family back another generation? 

I am looking for a Peter Robertson who married Catherine Munro/e 2 Jul 1837, they had Janet born c1841 Glasgow, Ann born c1838 Peter b c 1846 & David b c1848.  Could anyone also find the birth of their children?   I have found them on 1841 Census at 84 Centre Street Gorbals, 1851 Census at Strathbungo Glasgow & 1861 Census at 21 Catherine Street.  All were born Glasgow except Peter Robertson snr who was born Stirling, his occupation was Iron Grinder/Labourer.
I am also looking for the parents of Catherine Munro/e, Catherine was born c1808 Glasgow.
I would be grateful for any assistance in 'padding' out my family tree.

regards Trish
Fear, Puddy, Bunn, Hemsbury - Wedmore Somerset.  Watts - Romsey Hants, Frome Somerset, Warminster Wilts & Wokingham Berkshire.  Roberts - Newport, Stone Glos, Austin - Monmouth. Dix or Dicks - Frome. Pugh - Llanbrynmair, Trevithin & Tafolwern

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Robertson of Glasgow
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 04 November 09 14:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Trish

A couple of entries for the children show on IGI:

1. ANN MACKIE ROBERTSONBirth: 29 JAN 1838 Glasgow
2. PETER ROBERTSON  Birth: 27 FEB 1846 Barony, Lanark

If Ann McKie Robertson was their first born daughter following their 1837 marriage, this IGI entry may fit for Catherine and parents:

CATHRINE MUNRO     Birth: 05 APR 1808  Glasgow
Parents:JOHN MUNRO and ANN MACKIE    

If Catherine died in Scotland, her death cert should hopefully include her parents' names to let you confirm her family.

Monica

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline 'Trish'

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 04 November 09 17:40 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that, I believe that they may have had another daughter Janet/Jessie Robson/Robertson born c1841 & another son David born c1848/9? 

Peter Robinson snr was born c1811, also Janet married Joseph Russell, can you help?  regards Trish
Fear, Puddy, Bunn, Hemsbury - Wedmore Somerset.  Watts - Romsey Hants, Frome Somerset, Warminster Wilts & Wokingham Berkshire.  Roberts - Newport, Stone Glos, Austin - Monmouth. Dix or Dicks - Frome. Pugh - Llanbrynmair, Trevithin & Tafolwern

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 04 November 09 18:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Trish

Is this the Janet who married a Robert Russell not Joseph, the iron turner, from the info you already have Trish on the other post.

Monica

Offline 'Trish'

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 04 November 09 18:17 GMT (UK) »
No, this is one generation back, Cathrine & Peter Robertson had a daughter called Janet Robertson (sometimes Robson), they also had Peter and Ann Mackie Robertson.  Janet Robertson married a Joseph Russell, Janet was born around 1841 in Glasgow.
regards Trish

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 04 November 09 18:22 GMT (UK) »
Trish, I remember the ins and outs of your line from www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,410350.0.html  :)

Remember that the Glasgow Robert you think is yours had father as Robert not Joseph. The mother of this Glasgow Robert is the one that you seem to now be following back to her family.

Monica

Offline 'Trish'

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 04 November 09 18:33 GMT (UK) »
I have proved that Robert Russell is not the same one that Maggie is tracking,  I now have prove that Robert Welsh Bissett Russell and Robert Welsh Bisset are not one and the same.  My Robert appears on the 1891 Census with his sister Cathrine, and his grandmother Cathrine and his mother Janet at 338 Duke Street, Glasgow. 
Maggies RW Bisset also appears on the 1891 Census in Dumfries along with his sister Thomasina and his mother Janet and grandmother Janet.
So you will see they are not one and the same
Regards Trish

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 04 November 09 19:23 GMT (UK) »
Trish, trying hard to help here. I made all the main points on the other thread. Just wanted to repeat that the Glasgow Robert has the wrong parents.

Wish you luck with all this  :)

Monica

Offline 'Trish'

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 05 November 09 18:20 GMT (UK) »
'Robert Welsh Bissett Russell m margaret Shirley Hamilton 11/12/1911. re birth and marriage of Robert. I have a Robert Welsh bissett in my family tree died in Dumfries 1959 who was married and widowed in 1910 to Robina Gardiner Kirk. Listed as Railway Goods Guard on death cert of Robina and marriage certificate. Mother Janet Bissett birth certificate lists as illegitimate. Family did live in Old Monkland Or Coatbridge abt 1841

1.My Margaret Hamilton did not bear the name Shirley.
2. RWBR married Maggie 8 Dec 1911 at Drumover Drive Tollcross.
3.The sister's and grandmothers names are different, Maggies being Thomasina mine being Catherine.  Thomasina's grandmother being Janet Bissett or Russell mine being Catherine Munro.

There are two many differences, also the 1891 Census proves this is two different families.

The information I hold comes from a professional researcher, that my sister paid for.

I made the mistake of believing that Margaret Shirley Hamilton was 'my' Maggie, since then I have found her real date of birth, and that she did not bear the name of shirley.

We can go on argueing the point with this, but I still feel that RWBR's father was Joseph not Robert.

There seems to be several Robert Welsh Bissett Russell's around,  having spoken RWBR's daughter before she died, I can assure you her grandfather was Joseph.

regards Trish