Author Topic: Obadiah Legg  (Read 3447 times)

Offline bonzo10

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Obadiah Legg
« on: Tuesday 03 November 09 19:55 GMT (UK) »
Im trying to trace any information about Obadiah Legg born Powerstock, Dorset and died West Lulworth, Dorset.  I dont suppose anyone has been tracing any of the Legg family from that area.

Offline ammonite

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Obadiah Legg
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 03 November 09 20:05 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat  ;D

Do you have Dates for obadiah? 

Plus i suspect this topic will probably get moved to the Dorset board at some point!

Ammonite
Jelly:Rutland/ Leics,
Barnes: Surrey, Gloucs
Claydon: Lincs, Suffolk,
Faulkner, Cooling, Cook, Crampton, Pask, Gresham: Lincs
Reid, Mundy: Liverpool and Cumberland
Brownhill, Middlesex, Derbyshire

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 03 November 09 20:06 GMT (UK) »
Hello bonzo,

Welcome to RootsChat

I am not researching Obdiah for myself, but I can see him on all census 1851-1901

Do you have this information???

If you would like details of any census posting -or have a more specific request we would love to help you.

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bonzo10

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 03 November 09 20:19 GMT (UK) »
Sorry I am really new to this.  I have been researching online he was born I believe in 1846 and died 1911 or 1912.  He moved away from Dorset after he got married and his children were born London area and Surrey.  I was hoping someone from that family had been doing some research so I could find out more details about his life rather than just the dates. 

I know Im expecting alot but theres no harm in asking.

Anna

Offline EEK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 05 November 09 20:27 GMT (UK) »
I have 42 Legg/Legges on my tree from Dorset. Mainly from Mapperton, which is only a few miles from Powerstock. Unfortunately no Obadiahs. They were mostly buried in Netherbury. My tree stretches back to Henry Legg of Mapperton, born 1663. I'd be surprised if we didn't have a connection somewhere!
Eileen
Fletcher, Meakins, Webber, New, Abbott, Legge and Gillingham

Offline EEK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 05 November 09 20:38 GMT (UK) »
There are 2 members of Genes Reunited with Obadiah Legg 1846 of Powerstock in their tree.
Eileen
Fletcher, Meakins, Webber, New, Abbott, Legge and Gillingham

Offline bonzo10

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 05 November 09 23:05 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that.

I have joined Genes Reunited but it wont let me send messages to the members grrrrr.

Would love more up to date information on his family.

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 05 November 09 23:37 GMT (UK) »
Sorry I am really new to this.  I have been researching online he was born I believe in 1846 and died 1911 or 1912.  He moved away from Dorset after he got married and his children were born London area and Surrey.   

I know Im expecting alot but theres no harm in asking.

Anna

Birth reg FreeBMD
Obadiah Legg
Dec qtr 1846
Beaminster district
8 2

Death reg FreeBMD
obadiah legg
age 67
Dec qtr 1912
Weymouth district
5a 308

You state"he moved away away from Dorset after he married and his children were born in the London area and Surrey

This is not really the case-only 2 of the children were b middlesex and one in surrey - apart from the 1881 census Obadiah lived in Dorset or Hampshire

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 05 November 09 23:49 GMT (UK) »
I hope you don't mind these suggestions - burt as you said you are new to this so thought you may need some advice.

You really need to get definate dates  I have found the birth and death reg from the freeBMD site - which you can look at yourself (free) - you can then get the year and quarter his marriage was registered.

As you have all of the census , maybe you could list all of the children - then look for their birth reg's -and then maybe look for baptism

When you have Obadiah's occupation and address from each census -then you can maybe find out a little more about his lifestyle.

Don't rely on Genes Reunited - it is an OK site for making contact with others researching similar names - and sometimes hooking up with distant family - but don't just trust other peoples research . Sometimes people just copy others research and then errors get passed on - sometimes it gets out of control - I know there are a few on GenesReunited who have my grandfather as the brother of my father!!!! There are also some very thorough researchers on there too - but it is best to research for yourself as much as is possible

Take it slowly - there are plenty of willing helpers on here with a wealth of knowledge which they are willing to share

Suz