Author Topic: Coroner`s Inquests Birmingham  (Read 1345 times)

Offline terry gale

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Coroner`s Inquests Birmingham
« on: Wednesday 04 November 09 10:55 GMT (UK) »
I  have a death cert for Annie Foulger died 14th October 1881. The cert was issued by the Deputy Coroner for Birmingham following an Inquest held  17th October 1881.

The cause of death was Apoplexy and Annie was aged 29 years.

Could anyone tell me if these Inquests are viewable .

Thanks

Terry Gale

Offline angelan

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Coroner`s Inquests Birmingham
« Reply #1 on: Friday 26 February 10 17:48 GMT (UK) »
Hello Terry

I tried to find out about inquests too.

I had sent for a death cert for 1839. At the time I was hoping to confirm the identity of the deceased from the name of the informant. I was disappointed to see that the cert was signed by the coroner.  Someone advised me to look in local newspapers for more information.

The helpful staff at the Worcestershire Family History Centre advised me which newspapers were likely to cover the area where the event occurred. I checked newspapers for dates immediately after the death and found reports in 3 different newspapers. The reports covered witness testimonies given at the coroners inquest which was held at the local pub. One of the reports gave several witness names (family) and described the suicide in great detail!

It would probably be worth searching newspapers for the 2nd half of October for your inquest. Staff should probably be able to suggest which Birmingham newspapers to check. It only took me about 15 mins looking through microfilm to find my first report as any newspaper article is likely to be very soon after the event.

It's certainly worth a look! Hope you find something.

Angela

Offline Bargee girl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 08 March 10 03:53 GMT (UK) »
According to their website the Archive section of Birmingham Central Library has Coroners inquest records on the shelf for viewing.

I have just posted a request on RootsChat asking for someone to look one up for me (as I am in Australia)...........Hope I get a response!
Good luck to you too Terry
Cheers
Bargee girl
WRIGHT, STOCK(H)ALL, PIPER, DIGNAN, HARRINGTON (Birmingham, UK)

Offline terry gale

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 13 March 10 22:38 GMT (UK) »
I am pleased to say that Birmingham Central Library were able to supply a copy of  this inquest for a small charge.