Author Topic: Edith BELL born Torquay 1877  (Read 2242 times)

Offline BamptonHatherleigh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Edith BELL born Torquay 1877
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 05 November 09 07:47 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, your replies are so interesting. Well done your husband! Thats a good idea and would explain all the travelling. Its great to have someone else to bounce ideas around with.

I'm not at convinced about the P being a double ss or F. I Googled drep maker and all family researchers seem to agree thats what it is, and this thread is already page 1 on Google!
All places where the profession is transcribed though is with a P.... I wonder if maybe there is a reason for it being spelt like that.
It sounds like a job with long hours. I wonder how she became that as it looks at though dressmakers very usually apprenticed first?
Snell Chulmleigh,Hatherleigh,Bampton/Devon,Middlesex London.
Bell Nottingham, Clevedon, London, Cumberland
Oxley London
Field Bristol
He(a)ydock Bristol Devon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 12 November 09 08:41 GMT (UK) »
Mog, maybe you help , is this my Tom?!
Today, just playing about, pop! there he seems to be on the 1891 census! but city is shown as Durham and county is shown as Lancaster?! Not sure how to read this!
I am not sure when they show DOB then city Durham if they mean place of birth which in fact was Devon, so maybe this is why I couldn't find him it was mis transcribed?
I can see Thomas Bell Born abt 1844 shown as residence  Lancashire , Durham city as place of birth? His spouse is shown as Charlotte which is correct... though I have her living in Finchley London in 1891, with their daughters Maude Edith and Alice and son Walter.... is this just a strange co incidence? Can anyone check for me?
Thanks in advance.
Oxley London
Field Bristol
He(a)ydock Bristol Devon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 12 November 09 12:18 GMT (UK) »
Sorry false alarm, different Tom same wifes name and DOb but not him... oh well back to the drawing board!
Oxley London
Field Bristol
He(a)ydock Bristol Devon