Author Topic: *COMPLETED* Help! Drawn a blank - Edmund Brown birth c1862, Caher/Cahir, Co Tipp  (Read 10062 times)

Offline kob3203

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Tracing Welsh/Irish roots from Asia with no money!
    • View Profile
I have finally uncovered the military service records for my great grandfather, Edmund Brown. They give, 1apparently, the most precise information about his birth. According to them he signed up on 10 March 1881, giving his age as 18 years 3 months, and his place of birth as the parish of Cahir, in/near the town of Cahir, county Tipperary. It also gives his next of kin as "father - John".

This makes his birth (Nov/Dec 1862) a couple of years too early for civil registration, so I'm left with parish records (we know the family is RC, which helps).

In various other documents his given name is Edmund, Edmond, and even Edward and his surname is Brown or Browne

Given all this information I've drawn a complete blank.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

TIA, Pete

1'Apparently' because lying on your military attestation papers is punishable under military law - a rather good deterrent one would think.
But nevertheless, many people did lie anyway, didn't they?
Most roots researched back to the early/mid 1800s. Years noted as 'pre' refer to my direct ancestors, although I'm interested in any relatives:
Mitchelstown, Co.Cork: CORBETT (pre1935), SWEENEY  (pre1935), CUSACK? (pre1894), KEYS? (pre1894)
Mallow, Co.Cork: BROWNE (1895-1935)
Caher, Co.Tipp: BROWNE (pre1895), PURTELL(pre1895)
Cashel, Co.Tipp: FANNING (pre1886)
Llanelly, Carms: GRIFFITHS (pre1934), REYNOLDS (pre1901), WILLIAMS (pre1934)
Ton Pentre, Glams: LEWIS (pre1901)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Help! Drawn a blank - Edmund Brown birth c1862, Caher/Cahir, Co Tipperary
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 05 November 09 08:31 GMT (UK) »
The Irish Family History Foundation pay-website holds some Co. Tipperary parish - and they list the RC parish of Cahir in theie sources, but I dont see and Edmund Brown listed in the index around the right time. Their records are listed are started in 1776, but I dont know if they are complete - see : http://www.rootschat.com/links/07f1/

The website is www.irish-roots.ie and the transcripts cost €5 each to view.

If the birth was in the RC Parish of Cahir (rather the area*) then that data would be available in the National Library on microfilms P.2459 and P.2460

(*the Parish of Cahir mentioned on his papers is likely the Civil parish, which may have different boundries)

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 05 November 09 08:45 GMT (UK) »
update : I found baptism in then index for an Edmund Brown in Cahir RC parish with father's name John - but it's in 1831!!! .. could he be related ?

I dont image Edmund Brown with father John in a single parish was a frequent  occurrence... there also seems to be possible siblings for this Edmund - John 1828, Joanne 1833, and Oliver in 1838

the closest Brown baptism to 1862 in the parish, with father John,
is a Marian born 1856.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline kob3203

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 05 November 09 11:21 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Shane
The 1831 record could well be related, but I don't want to run before I can walk!
The IFHF site you mention is the place I do most of my Irish research - the Tipperary South part of it at http://tipperarysouth.brsgenealogy.com/ is unfortunately one of the places I drew a blank.

There was one other line of enquiry. One of Edmunds sons emigrated to America and stayed with an aunt. A second aunt of mine who's also researching the family tree has fairly conclusively identified the aunt's maiden name as Norah Browne, making her Edmund's sister. She's also uncovered several siblings of Norah (and thus Edmund) who emigrated to Boston Massachsetts soon after 1900. The full list of emigrant Browne siblings is:

Michael Browne, born March 1870 Cahir
Norah Browne, born 17 Mar 1877 Caher
Catherine Browne, born 1881 Cahir
Patrick Browne, born 1884 Cahir
Richard Browne, born 1887 Cahir

However, would you believe it - I can't find any birth record matches for any of these either!
Puzzled,
Pete

Correction! I've just retried all my searches and I've now got two good matches:
- Patrick Browne civil birth in 1883, Co. Tipp
- Richard Browne civil birth in 1883, Co. Tipp
Both are in Cahir(CP), and both show up if I specify "Father Firstname: John". Maybe time to get the chequebook out...

But I'm still puzzled by the lack of anything for the others
Most roots researched back to the early/mid 1800s. Years noted as 'pre' refer to my direct ancestors, although I'm interested in any relatives:
Mitchelstown, Co.Cork: CORBETT (pre1935), SWEENEY  (pre1935), CUSACK? (pre1894), KEYS? (pre1894)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 05 November 09 11:25 GMT (UK) »
Michael Bowne, born March 1870 Cahir
Norah Browne, born 17 Mar 1877 Caher
Catherine Browne, born 1881 Cahir
Patrick Browne, born 1884 Cahir
Richard Browne, born 1887 Cahir

However, would you believe it - I can't find any birth record matches for any of these either!
Puzzled,
Pete

have you tried the civil index for these or the IFHF website ?

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline kob3203

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 05 November 09 12:17 GMT (UK) »
Yes, it would be the civil index on the IFHF site that I checked - the http://www.irish-roots.ie/ site takes you to http://tipperarysouth.brsgenealogy.com/ once you click through to Tipperary (South) via the map links.

I've now found matches there for Richard and Patrick (see my correction to the end of my last post).
I've paid to view Richard's record - it gives John Browne's occupation as labourer (same as on Edmunds marriage certificate). Plus we now have a brand new name - John's wife, Ellen Fanning.

Thanks again Shane. As often seems to happen I missed something the first time I went though all this, and going through it again like this helps me to double check, and it seems like
Pete

P.S. I'm still puzzled by the lack of birth records for Edmund, Michael, Norah and Catherine.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 05 November 09 12:49 GMT (UK) »
for those missing civil registrations it might be worth widening the search for the others outside the registration district of Cahir in case the family moved ...

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline kob3203

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 06 November 09 02:08 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Shane, good call.
I've now tried searching for possible matches anywhere in Co Tipperary, both at the IFHF site and the LDS pilot (FamilySearch) at http://pilot.familysearch.org/. As they appear to be independent transcriptions of the Irish civil birth registers it seems a good cross-check. I can now add a possible match for Catherine, making my full list of possible matches:
  • Richard Browne, born Q4 1886 Caher CP, father John
  • Patrick Browne born Q2 1883 Caher CP, father John
  • Kate Brown born Q4 1882 father John, but NOT Caher CP (although still in Clogheen reg. dist.)
However, still nothing for Edmund, Michael or Norah.
Pete

P.S. Edmund was born c1862 and Richard's civil birth record was dated 1886, 24 years later.
I suppose there's a possibility that Edmund's mother died and John remarried?
I've tried to find an Ellen Fanning/John Browne marriage anywhere in Co Tipperary in 1886 or earlier and, once again, I'm drawing blanks.

Offline kob3203

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 09 November 09 06:14 GMT (UK) »
Shane,
We've now found birth/baptism records for Edmund's siblings Michael, Bridget, William, Honora, Thomas, Catherine, Patrick and Richard, either in Ballynatten (Tullamaine civil parish), or Powerstown RC parish. This puts the family firmly in the Cashel/Clonmel/Caher area between 1867 and 1886 - right on the edge of the Archdiocese of Cashel & Emly.

It now seems almost certain that  Edmund was born in 1862 and Ellen and John were married before that (no Tipperary civil records before 1864) in one of the parishes of the Cashel and Emly Archdiocese parishes (so no on-line records available).

Thanks to your reply at http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,418002 I now have a chance of finding those elusive Cashel + Emly records!

Thanks again!
Pete