Author Topic: Pool Park, Efenechtyd  (Read 13526 times)

Offline D ap D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stuck with John Jones in Wales? Join the club!
    • View Profile
Pool Park, Efenechtyd
« on: Thursday 10 March 05 10:23 GMT (UK) »
I have recently been sent some info from a far distant cousin, who is in possession of a family bible. In it is an entry for the death of one of the sons in 1833 in Pool Park, Efenechtyd.

Now I have found out that it was owned by Lord Bagot, who was the manorial lord where this side of my family originated - it would appear that the whole family worked as surveyors or agents for the estate.

Does anyone know what happened to Pool Park, in which parish it is?
And if anyone comes across any Turnors (with an O), or Pickerings, I'd love to hear from you.

D
Stuck with:
William Williams of Llanllyfni
John Jones in Llanelli
Evan Evans in Caio
David Davies of Llansanffraid
Evans: Caio/Carms
Jones: CDG, DEN

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Nor do I think that any other nation than this of Wales, or any other tongue, whatever may hereafter come to pass, shall on the day of the great reckoning before the Most High Judge, answer for this corner of the earth": The Old Man of Pencader to Henry II

Offline Peterej

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Pool Park, Efenechtyd
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 10 March 05 12:57 GMT (UK) »
Pool Park is on the Ruthin to Clawddnewydd/Cerrig-y-drudion road about 2/3 miles out of Ruthin. I think it was a Psychriatic home when I was living in Ruthin some 40/50 years ago but I do not know what it is now used for. I do not know the families. It may be an idea to contact Clwyd FHS or the Archivist in Ruthin. The latter tel no is or was 01824 708250
peterej
Jones, Edwards, Davies, Owen, Benjamin , Hughes , Roberts,Thomas,Williams, Wynne , Griffiths, Howells, Rowlands etc etc
plus
Thomas,Trewren,Holmes,Thirlwall,Jones again & again
& more

"This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline Bill Bartley

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 10 May 05 21:17 BST (UK) »
Hi,Pool Park was once the home of the Salusbury family, one of whom was William Salusbury of Bachymbyd and passed to Sir Walter Bagot thro marriage. It was rebuilt in the Elizabethan style by the Bagot family in 1828 and is situated off the Clawddnewydd Rd out of Ruthin. It is empty and derelict (2003). 100 yrs later the 17,500 acres was split up and put up for sale.An interesting pillar of stonework was erected on nearby Pincyn Llys to commemorate the planting of vast areas of woodland by the 2nd Lord Bagot.

The Bagot family was well known in the area and was responsible for the funding of alms houses in the area among other projects.

My interest is trying to find a Grace Bagot who is supposed to have ran away and eloped with a Peter Evans. They then ran a beerhouse in Parkgate???

Can anyone throw any light on Bagot history Pool Park, not Stafford which is another Bagot stronghold
Bartley.Grace Bagot.Ida Florence May Lonton

Offline D ap D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stuck with John Jones in Wales? Join the club!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 11 May 05 19:22 BST (UK) »
Can anyone throw any light on Bagot history Pool Park, not Stafford which is another Bagot stronghold

My Turnors were actually land agents and surveyors for the Bagot family - one of the sons moved to Efenechtyd, probably with his employer.

I've found out a bit of background info about Pool Park (we used to call it Denbigh mental home when we were at school! - just didn'T connect the two names).

Don't know anything about the Bagot family itself though.

d
Stuck with:
William Williams of Llanllyfni
John Jones in Llanelli
Evan Evans in Caio
David Davies of Llansanffraid
Evans: Caio/Carms
Jones: CDG, DEN

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Nor do I think that any other nation than this of Wales, or any other tongue, whatever may hereafter come to pass, shall on the day of the great reckoning before the Most High Judge, answer for this corner of the earth": The Old Man of Pencader to Henry II

Offline Parddu

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 11 September 10 17:49 BST (UK) »
Hello

I was brought up on the home farm at Pool Park and still live in a cottage on what was the Pool Park estate. The Baggot's built the present mansion and were followed there by the Tate's of Tate and Lyle. In 1930 all the farms etc on the estate were sold off and the mansion was eventually bought by Denbighshire Health Authority and was a Phyciatric hospital until 1988 when it was sold to a builder. The place hasn't been touched since and is now in a terrible state. I actually visited yesterday with a lady who is concerned about the neglect of what were beautifully kept gardens which included a huge walled vegetable garden. It is now like a jungle!. Going back there inspired me to research more about the history of the place. I am prepared to try and find out more about your family history if you wish.

parddu

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 11 September 10 18:07 BST (UK) »
Just picked up on this.
Pardhu, are there people waiting for  allotments, might be an idea to ask the County council if you could use the Walled garden.  At least they would be getting something for the place which in turn might help sponsor having the place done up for the homeless of such.

Tate, In barbados there are graves commemorating the Tate family who owned sugar can plantations there, at a little church called St. Johns on a hill which overlooks the coastline of Barbados.  I know this is by the by, but hope you would not mind the interruption.

marcie
Scotlandorkney flett bell, strickland laird traillcalqahoun.
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet

Offline petemjm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 22 December 10 20:54 GMT (UK) »
My grandparents where nurses at pool park for several yrs and they lived in the lodge at the entrance. I have fond memories of playing in the grounds as a child, great place.

Offline Parddu

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 30 December 10 22:07 GMT (UK) »
I wonder what your grandparents were called petemjm. I must have known them as I lived at Pool Park Farm from 1944 to 1979 and still live in one of the Pool Park lodges.
Parddu

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 30 December 10 22:17 GMT (UK) »

My Turnors were actually land agents and surveyors for the Bagot family - one of the sons moved to Efenechtyd, probably with his employer.

I've found out a bit of background info about Pool Park (we used to call it Denbigh mental home when we were at school! - just didn'T connect the two names).

Don't know anything about the Bagot family itself though.

d

Are you sure about that?    The former Denbigh or North Wales Hospital  is  about seven miles away from Ruthin.  Are you getting two different places mixed up?

The site of the North Wales Hospital  has been in use as a hospital since about 1850.
Nursall   ~    Buckinghamshire
Avies ~   Norwich