Author Topic: Farm of Meikle Rebrae  (Read 1822 times)

Offline rdarby

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Farm of Meikle Rebrae
« on: Friday 06 November 09 07:55 GMT (UK) »
I was wondering if anyone knows if there is still a farm or property in the parish of Forglen, County of Banffshire, known as Meikle Rebrae, or maybe he was the owner. The tenant in the 1840's was the widow Mary Morrison, or Leslie.
My gg grandfather, Alexander Allan was a farmhand at Wedderburn, then a slate quarrier at the Hills of Foudland. He was convicted for stealing 4 head of cattle from the farm, or at least receiving stolen property. The cattle were returned to their rightful owner, but alas, poor Alexander was convicted and transported to Australia.
Roger
Darbys from Deal area, Allans Aberdeenshire/Banffshire, Ogles  Northumberland, McKenzies and Burgess  Kirkudbright/Dumfries, Campbells  Sutherlandshire, Malcolms Kincardine,Sheppeards Suffolk

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Farm of Meikle Rebrae
« Reply #1 on: Friday 06 November 09 09:45 GMT (UK) »
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 08 November 09 11:09 GMT (UK) »
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline rdarby

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 08 November 09 20:56 GMT (UK) »
Yes, it looks like its still there - its on the map and there's a photo of the farm and a sign post to it. I'll have to drive by if I ever get over, but I don't think I'd be too welcome! I promise I won't steal any stotts.
Roger
Darbys from Deal area, Allans Aberdeenshire/Banffshire, Ogles  Northumberland, McKenzies and Burgess  Kirkudbright/Dumfries, Campbells  Sutherlandshire, Malcolms Kincardine,Sheppeards Suffolk