Author Topic: A Spanner in the Works, or, finding the Wadsworths of London  (Read 6221 times)

Offline OhBaldOne

• RootsChat Extra
  • Squinty Pup, Molly Bloom. Yes, I said, yes…
    • View Profile
A Spanner in the Works, or, finding the Wadsworths of London
« on: Friday 06 November 09 22:43 GMT (UK) »
You all know the feeling…you get your chart almost completed, ancestors stretching out to the Dark Ages, famous Poets, Scoundrels, Anarchists, some poachers, the lot…and a bolt out of the blue (in this case another poster) cuts your chart in half and now you're back to a Great Great Grandfather, when three minutes before you were looking at 23 generations, a couple of Estates, some posh country homes and  "huge tracts of land" out on Wadsworth Moor, S. Yks…

Oh well.

Here goes: John Wadsworth, born 1819, apparently in Middlesex, St. Georges in the East, London. Married Harriot/Harriet Morton, of Hoyland, S. Yks, around 1840 in Sheffield. John's US transcript from the register of death indicates his father was "John Wadsworth"…no mention of mother's name. They had a slew of kids, all of whom I have, and thence on to me much later.

That's it. I know, not much to go on. But I've got everything from John and Harriot on out. Now I need his father and mother, some link to them through his 1819 birth. Maybe. And then maybe I can put the two halves of the chart back together and redeem my heritage…or at least get my wife off my back for spending so much time on the daggone computer! One word…

Heeelllllpppp!

Wadsworth, Wordsworth - Middlesex/London, St. Georges in the East;

Kip/Kipp - New Amsterdam, NY; Cuer - Unknown; Ferguson/Fergusson; Rogers

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: A Spanner in the Works, or, finding the Wadsworths of London
« Reply #1 on: Friday 06 November 09 23:19 GMT (UK) »
I see the "Harriot Morton" marriage on freebmd.rootsweb.com - it would be a good idea to get the certificate to check that the information given at his death was correct. You would also get the occupation of John's father.

You should also perhaps check out the William Wadsworth, 30, a joiner, b. 'out of county' but also living in Sheffield in 1841 with Harriet (presumed wife), Jane and Emma (presumed children), and an Alfred, 17, b. in Yorkshire (brother?).

William appears to be in the 1861 census in Ecclesall Bierlow, giving his age as 50 and birthplace as Middlesex St. Georges.

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Eyesee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 07 November 09 10:50 GMT (UK) »
From Saint George in the East baptisms
1811 Apr 14, William John, s/o John & Elizabeth WADSWORTH, Jane Street, Labourer, born 25 Jan 1811
1813 Jan 24, Mary, d/o John & Elizabeth WADSWORTH, Jane Street, Labourer, born 16 Sep 1812
1817 Feb 9, Catherine, d/o John & Elizabeth WADSWORTH, Jane Street, Cooper, born 12 Dec 1815

Sheffield
John WADSWORTH, 22, Joiner, Not born in county
Harriot WADSWORTH, 22, Born in county
HO107/1335/B9/Sheffield/Yorkshire/ED19/9/11

1851 census
Worksop
John WADSWORTH, lodger mar 32, Carpenter, born Middlesex, St George in the East
HO107/2122/9/11

Ian C
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 07 November 09 17:42 GMT (UK) »
Remember that even in that era people moved around the country; cousins married, and people married out of the family in one generation for their children to marry back into it in a subsequent generation.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline OhBaldOne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 07 November 09 23:25 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, everyone for your input!
jorose: the certificate I have is for Johns' death here in the states - he lived in New York state and I was able to get an uncertified copy - but still has the right death into. He died from "apoplexy" on Jan 11, 1892 at age 73 - so birth date at 1819 is correct.
I sent for a copy of his marriage record that will hopefully show parentage - but the UK Gov site was so unintuitive that I don't know if the transaction went through and if I'll ever see the document! Talk abut the need for some good web design! Maybe I should hire myself out…

Eyesee: Wouldn't it be nice to see my John being the son of John and Elizabeth Wadsworth as your info shows - maybe he's their 4th child!? Will see…1819 would fall right in line and his father was specified as John on his death certificate. The other two census records tie in nicely with other info I have, so it would be nice to know Elizabeth's maiden name, and that may give some further clues…

Redroger: Nice to see you're looking out for me!! Cheers and all that. Like my wife's Russian grandparents always said…"Go ahead and marry your cousin…at least you know they come from a good family!"

Of course, here in the South (Virginia, USA) marrying your cousin could get you shot by an older brother…or as we say in jest…"He married family. His mother, sister, cousin." I won't describe the photo…you get the drift…

Offline OhBaldOne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 07 November 09 23:36 GMT (UK) »
For the curious, I have attached my chart - broken in half with notes from your comments below, that show what I thought was my line, and that now has been cut down to size…serves me right for grandiose aspirations and casting aspersions about The Poet's (who else, but William W.) verse and my own doggerall…

There may be some info there that will help - or not. But it's a major sized sheet and is in PDF form.

Gerry

Offline Eyesee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 07 November 09 23:39 GMT (UK) »
The IGI has a marriage in London in 1809 for a John WADSWORTH and Elizabeth INGS, which may or may not be him.

Let us know what the marriage cert says.

Ian C
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline OhBaldOne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 07 November 09 23:50 GMT (UK) »
Outstanding detective work, Eyesee…(IanC…took me a few to get the acronym!…a little slow tonight…)

I'll copy and paste into the chart attached below for reference.

Cheers.

I owe you a pint of Wadsworths 6X!

Offline Eyesee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 08 November 09 00:09 GMT (UK) »
1851 if you did not have it

West Handley, Staveley, Derbyshire
Harriott WADSWORTH, head mar 32, Coalminers wife, born Sheffield, Yorks