Author Topic: 1831 Ballyrashane Census  (Read 4671 times)

Offline danadavkins

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working.
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1831 Ballyrashane Census
« on: Saturday 07 November 09 03:00 GMT (UK) »
Did any part of the 1831 Ballyrashane County Derry(Londonderry) census survive? I found a John Speer in the 1831 census index for Ballyrashane and would like to view this if possible. Does a listing in the index indicate that this part of the census survived and can be viewed? If it's available for viewing where would I find it? I'd  like to know where in Ballyrashane John Speer lived. Thank you for any help or guidance on this.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1831 Ballyrashane Census
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 07 November 09 09:00 GMT (UK) »
1831 was really a religious census- listed head of household then number of males and females, male and female servants and then who many E.C. (Established Church/Church of Ireland), R.C., Presbyterians, others in the household. It's broken down by townland.
It looks like 1831 census might survive according to this listing:
www.aigs.org.au/londonderryff1.htm#1831
(if you Google '1831 census Ballyrashane' lots of links come up).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Gortinanima

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 07 November 09 18:21 GMT (UK) »

There were 2 Speer families in Ballyrashane in 1831

John Speer in the townland of Articrunaght
William Spier in Lisnagalt

Offline danadavkins

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working.
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 07 November 09 20:21 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both so very much! Until I joined rootschat just a few days ago there was not much hope of finding my grt grt grandmother's family, but thanks to the help and information I've received on this site I now believe there is hope. aghadowey, your response in addition to helping me find the 1831 census, led me to another source and 2 names, John and Eliza Speer, the names of my 3rd gr grandparents. This takes me to another county but I'm determined to cover all of Northern Ireland if necessary. See you in Armagh. Gortinanima, knowing the Ballyrashane townlands was exactly the information I wanted from the 1831 census because it will allow me to view the neighborhood in Griffiths Valuation for other familiar surnames. Wherever I find my Speers I'm grateful to you and others who have been so helpful.