Author Topic: Police Station - North Row, Hastings  (Read 5269 times)

Offline Ezyka

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Police Station - North Row, Hastings
« on: Saturday 07 November 09 15:52 GMT (UK) »
My GGG Grandfather, James Pound, was a police constable.  He resided at North Row police station in Hastings on the 1871/1881 census.  Does anyone know where this was?  I haven't been able to find a North Row.  Help!

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Police Station - North Row, Hastings
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 07 November 09 16:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Looking at the 1881 there was a public house called the Millars Arms also in North Row, ORE, Hastings - this pub looks as though it still exists on this map.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=millers+arms,+ore,+sussex&sll=54,-2&sspn=104.485,360&ie=UTF8&v=2.2&cv=4.2.0205.5730&hl=en&ei=JZn1SsfjJ9HPjAfs4szdCg&cd=1&cid=17013412305844937633&li=lmd

Rosie
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Isobelruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 07 November 09 16:05 GMT (UK) »
On 71 census its a parish called Ore
RG10 1027/67/2
Russells in Westmorland,Lancashire<br />Rileys Halifax,Rochdale<br />Graingers Hull Yorks<br />Coles Northampton<br />Transcribed the whole of Westmorland 41 census<br />and Rochdale 61 <br /><br />Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ezyka

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 07 November 09 16:17 GMT (UK) »
Ok, thanks.  So its possible that it was along that road somewhere.  ;D

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 07 November 09 16:32 GMT (UK) »
Ok, thanks.  So its possible that it was along that road somewhere.  ;D

I would think so.  ???  I have a book on Ore but I have yet to find a mention of the police station, it does however mention North's Seat which was apparently situated above the Downs Farm estate and gave the area it's name.  The first seat there was made of Oak and inscribed 'Frederick North his seat' and was placed there in 1870 ish probably by his daughter Marianne...perhaps this family is where the name Norths Row originated.

Sorry I can't help you more

Rosie

Rosie
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline SamW

• RootsChat Extra
  • Mary Ann Hammond born Westwell Kent, 1872
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 24 September 10 10:06 BST (UK) »
The Miller's Arm is in what is now called Winchelsea Road, Ore, Hastings
the end of the road is opposite the Down Farm housing estate - on the old Down Farm land.
Hammond, Barton, Chambers, Odd - Kent
Willis - Armargh, Gorton
Oldridge, Garland - Devon
Lamb - Southwark and East London
Isden, Bexhall, Saunders, Gillett, Hubbard, Whiteman - Sussex

Offline National Elf

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 26 March 12 20:33 BST (UK) »
I strongly suspect North's Seat is a red herring and advise you to forget about it.  North's Seat is the highest point for several miles on former agricultural land donated by Hastings MP Fred North. There was previously a windmill at this location, but I know of no other buildings. The Down farm estate appeared in the late 1950s. Other buildings have appeared more recently, but North's Seat remains fairly isolated to this day.

The only police station I know of in the Ore area that fits was at the south eastern end of Winchelsea Road at it's junction with the Ridge. This police station existed until the 1960s when it was demolished and replaced by housing. It was called St Helen's Police Station and (according to the national archives, which often contains errors) was built in or after 1882. It may have had other names and was certainly referred to by other names (Winchelsea Road Police Station; The Ridge Police Station). The name "North Row" is new to me, but a few minutes research shows that it did indeed relate to this area. It seems that Hastings sometimes gave temporary names to areas to avoid repeated renumbering of buildings until a street was fully developed, which may have been the case here. Ore was once an area of desperate poverty. There was a very large workhouse (later called St. Helen's Hospital) to the south of the police station in Cackle Street (now called Frederick Road, named after workhouse boss Fred Tuppenny).

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/a2a/records.aspx?cat=179-dhbb&cid=1-1-508#1-1-508

The Google picture shows the approximate site in 2009 and corresponds roughly to the black and white picture. I don't know of any really good pictures of police station available online, but the black and white Sussex OPC one shows the police station on the extreme right. The Miller's Arms pub is on the opposite side of the road in the distance above and slightly to the right of the cart.

The Northern end of Winchelsea Road is usually considered now to be in Guestling and was renamed Winchelsea Lane in about 1963 following the construction of a new road (Rye Road) which cut Winchelsea Road in two and replaced the centre section (Winchelsea Road's other pub, the King's Head, is now in Rye Road).

I know of no police station ever existing in any other part of Winchelsea Road. That doesn't mean there wasn't one, it just means I don't know about one.

A number of other roads in the immediate area have been renamed:

This part of the Ridge was formally part of Old London Road;

nearby Victoria Avenue was once called Queen's Road;

Greville Road was formally Serpentine Road.

Offline SCENIC25

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 19 March 23 17:45 GMT (UK) »
Hello, and thanks for the join. I am a 'newbie' here, and I am researching my family history. Whilst researching, I can across North Row, (now Winchelsea Road). As a point of interest, my Mother was raised in the cottage adjoining the 'Millers', and her cousin lived across the road at N° 77. The first 7 years of my life were spent at 82 Victoria Ave. following my birth at the 'then Municipal' then St. Helen's Hospital. The Police Station on the corner of Winchelsea Rd. & The Ridge, was manned then by a Sgt. NORELEY who served formally in the rough dockside area of Liverpool. He was seen as a "no nonsense but fair copper", who earned the respect of the locals.

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 20 March 23 12:41 GMT (UK) »
The 1871 Census reads -
Sch Nos 1-6, London Road
Wesleyan Chapel
Sch Nos 7-10, North Row
Sch No 11 - North Row, James Pound (he does not identify it as a "Police Station. This applies to the 1881 entry)
Sch Nos 12-33, North Row
Sch Nos 35-40, Westfield Street
Sch No 41, North Row (King's Head)

The Wesleyan Chapel and the King's Head are marked on this 1873 map (road/street unnamed). Cannot spot a Police station in the Ore/Halton area.
https://maps.nls.uk/view/102347713

1897 map https://maps.nls.uk/view/101435424
There's a Police station near All Souls' Church - still nothing for North Road/Row. There is a "P.H" marked on North Road - the Millers' Arms?

1908 map  https://maps.nls.uk/view/101435421
The Police station near All Souls has "disappeared" and a Police station has appeared at the junction of Winchelsea Road and Old London Road.

Have found a number of newspaper report of PC James Pound from his time in Rowfant in 1861.