Author Topic: Rosborough family  (Read 19721 times)

Offline The Boy from Derry

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Rosborough family
« on: Saturday 07 November 09 20:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Folks

I have been tracing my Rosborough family now for some years and am seeking the help of those who may have come across information I am looking.

My Great Great Great Grandfather John Roseborrow dates and location unknown

Son John Roseboro ( Great Great Grabdfather) DOB and location unknown.

Married Nancy Ross 20th August 1850  Marriage solemnized at Boveva in the Church of Boveva in the County Londonderry. John Roseboro and Nancy Ross both of Full age a Bachelor and spinster. John Roseboro is listed as a farmer residing at Ballyhadaneanin the Parish of Banagher and Nancy Ross residing at Ballynagran. John Roseborrow and James Ross are recorded as being the respective fathers whose occupations are recorded as being farmers. William Steevenson and James Ross added their names as witnesses to the marriage. The couple were married by John  Colthurst Rector of Bovevagh.

The had a son James Albert Rosborough (Great grandfather) DOB unknow but assumed to be around 1860. He emigrated to Boston USA Circa 15 Apr 1889 and returned to Lisdillon Co Londonderry circa 1897 and his young family are recorded in the 1901 census

A second son is recorded as being Joseph Monteith Rosborough born 31st October 1866 in Ballyanahadan, Banagher Co Londonderry. Registered 16 Nov 1866 by father in the District of Feeny in the Union of Newtownlimavady, County Londonderry. He married Mary Ann Leslie 23 Feb 1893 Cumber Upper Parish Church, Co Londonderry their young family emigrated to Boston USA 16 Apr 1914.

I would like to find out more about the John Rosborrow and Nancy Ross did they have any other children? is anyone tracing the Ross or Rosborough families from these areas?

Any snippet of information would be fantastic.

Thanks ... look forward to hearing from you all.

Alan.
Rosborough - Londonderry
Ramsey - Londonderry
Foster - Donegal
Huey -Donegal
Mills - Tyrone
Morris - Tyrone

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Rosborough family
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 07 November 09 21:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
    Welcome to roots chat. I cannot be of direct help but I have found a couple of interesting families in the 1851 census. These were recorded in 1909 for pension purposes so are still extant.
George and Jane Rosborough of Ballyhanedin, Children Jane aged 3 and James aged 2.
Joseph and Mary Ann Rosborough of Ballyhanedin, Children James 10, Martha 8, Joseph 6, George 4, John and William both 1 month.
     There was another family in Sallowillow, Upper Cumber.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline Agnetta

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 02 December 09 05:50 GMT (UK) »
I am researching a Rosborough family - in particular a Mary Anne Rosborough,born 1834, who married Alexander Gibson on 9-3-1856 at Bovevagh Church of Ireland. At time of marriage she was living at Derryard (near Dungiven) Co Derry and her fathers name was David Rosborough.
The only evidence of a David Rosborough is on the 1858/9 Griffiths Valuation,at Derryard. There's also a Margaret Rosborough at Derryard.(was she wife,sister,mother?) At Ballyhanedin on 1858/9 Griffiths there was John,Archibald,Archibald,James,John,Joseph,Margaret,William Senior and William Junior.Does a David Rosborough figure anywhere in your research.?I have been looking for this man for many years. Any help appreciated. Agnetta

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 02 December 09 13:06 GMT (UK) »
Agnetta,
             According to the 1831 census there was a David Roseberry (sic) living in Derrygard (Derryard), Parish of Bovevagh.

Regards
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline Gortinanima

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 02 December 09 18:02 GMT (UK) »

1831 census has 6 Rosboroughs in Banager parish:

John Rosborough in Ballyhenedin, Banagher [and 2 Williams and 2 James']

John Rosborough in Feeny village, Banagher

Offline Agnetta

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 03 December 09 04:24 GMT (UK) »
Kingskerswell - I know about David being on the 1831 census,but as you know that's all you get - no names of family etc. I can't find any children born to a David and ????I know of Mary Ann born 1834, only because of her marriage cert. - but were there any siblings?Who did he marry,and where. Parents? David has me completely beaten.Can't even find a death record for him,which MIGHT have his wifes name on it, or his age at death. One day I'll find him,but obviously it's not going to be soon!! Thanks for info. Agnetta

Offline pkincaid

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 03 December 09 15:10 GMT (UK) »
My experience has been that sometimes side tidbits eventually pay off.  Below are some tidbits relating to a Rosborough family that came to New Brunswick, Canada from County Londonderry.

Robert Rosborough, long resident of 'Gass Alley' departed this life yesterday. The deceased was for a great number of years a resident of Fredericton city. By a life of honestry, industry and thrift, Mr. R. accummulated quite a fortune. He leaves a widow and a son, William Rosborough. The funeral takes place tomorrow 4 p.m. [The Fredericton Evening Capital, Fredericton, NB.  8 March 1884].

Margaret Rosborough, widow of Robt. Rosborough, mother of Ald. Wm Rosborough, died at her son's residence, Shore Street, 5 o'clock this morn. Mrs. Rosborough was born in County Derry, Ireland, 92 years ago. Her death was caused by old age. The funeral will take place Wednesday afternoon 2:30. Rev. Willard MacDonald will officiate at the house and grave. Geo. W. Adams has charge of the funeral arrangements. Mrs. Rosborough came to this country when 30 years of age and was married in St. Paul's Church, Fredericton city in 1866. Ald. Wm Rosborough is the only one of the family who survives Mrs. Rosborough
[The Gleaner, Fredericton, NB.  3 December 1894].

Ald. Rosborough, a descendant of the illustrious family who had charge of the old rock to which the booms were tied at the siege of Derry, arrived home last night from Halifax where he had been for the past week attending the Grand Orange Lodge of B.N.A. The Toronto 'Mail' correspondent says: Antiquarians among the Black Knights of Ireland will be interested in knowing that Wm Rosborough, Fredericton, N.B., one of the delegates, is a direct descendant of the family who owned the property on the Donegal side of the river where the boom was fastened at the time of the Siege of Derry [The Gleaner, Fredericton, NB.  3 August 1895].

d. Prince William (York Co.) Sabbath morn., 12th inst., William Rosborough, 84th year, native of County Derry, Ireland
[The Daily Telegraph, Saint John, NB.  25 January 1884].

Kincaids (Kincade, Kinkaid, Kinkead, etc.) of Counties Londonderry and Tyrone.

Gardiners of Ramelton, County Donegal.

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 04 December 09 16:22 GMT (UK) »
Agnetta,
             I called into Bovevagh Presbyterian Church burial ground today where there are a couple of Rosborough graves. Neither had a David but one was for James and his wife Eliza. James died in 1919 aged 85. I did a couple of lookups and found a possible marriage for these two, the lady's name being Eliza McClelland. If you do a parent search on the IGI you will get many children for these two, one of whom was called David. One of the births also says that a child was born in the townland of Derry Lane (sic). Derrylane is a townland across a road from Derryard. Possible connection?

Regards
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline Agnetta

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 05 December 09 02:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kingskerswell. Thanks for that info. I have that family in my notes,but my David would have been born 1795/1800.James (who m'd Eliza) was born 1834,the same year as Mary Ann - the daughter of David.I'm sure there's a connection - they were in the same area - Maybe James father and Davids father were brothers or cousins. Maybe James and David were cousins - first I'll have to find something definite about David before I can work out relationships !!!He is proving very difficult,but I'll keep on working at it,and hopefully solve it. Agnetta